Ordered IC40, Now what

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
I just came across a deal on ebay too good to pass up (IC40 and Power center for $550 new and delivered). Still one left if anyone's looking for the system.

I was considering getting this setup, but never really looked into what's invovled in the setup after the units installed. Given I'm installing a new Intelliflo, I figured I should grab the deal and setup everything at once.

Is there a good thread on setting up the Pentair Intellichlor systems? It will just be the VS with SWG, as I donlt have any automation system yet. I didn't see a sticky in this SWG forum, but figured I'd ask for suggestions.

Coupel questions after a quick review of the manual.

- Can the SWG unit be mounted vertical, or does it half to be horizontal?
- The manual states it is installed after the heater. Is this absolutley necessary? My problem is the plumbing comes out of the heater, straight into a valve, and then two vertical lines into the pad. There is just no room or place to insert the Intellichlor. For this to be installed after the heater, I'd need to run lines out and away from teh heater and then back, which is possible, but a real PITA.

markmac said:
Can the SWG unit be mounted vertical, or does it half to be horizontal?
Yes, you can mount the IC40 vertically. You just need to make sure you have enough head to keep water moving effectively through the cell

markmac said:
The manual states it is installed after the heater. Is this absolutley necessary? My problem is the plumbing comes out of the heater, straight into a valve, and then two vertical lines into the pad. There is just no room or place to insert the Intellichlor. For this to be installed after the heater, I'd need to run lines out and away from teh heater and then back, which is possible, but a real PITA.
You really should not install a SWG in line before a heater. You want your SWG right before the water returns to the pool. Even though it might be more of a PITA to do the plumbing this way, it will you save you in the long run. You don't want to prematurely wear out your heater or any other equipment!

blakej said:
You really should not install a SWG in line before a heater. You want your SWG right before the water returns to the pool. Even though it might be more of a PITA to do the plumbing this way, it will you save you in the long run. You don't want to prematurely wear out your heater or any other equipment!

My heater is basically junk, and only worked twice since I purchased the house/pool last year.

Bama Rambler said:
Post a pic of the pad and someone will have a suggestion. It's amazing what some people can figure out.

Here are a few pics of the items I inherited buying the house. I have an INtelliFlo VS and now Intellichlor to install (new heater hopefully next year). As I stated, the issue I see is the return from the heater is straght into the valve for the spa/pool return line. Best I can see, I need to shorten those two, and make a loop for the IntelliChlor to fit in before the valve (hence my question about mounting it vertical. However if I mount it vertical, it won't have the sugegsted 12-28" of straight pipe before the SWG. Since the heater is basically junk, maybe I just bypass it all together.

I'd welcome anyone with ideas.

[attachment=2:1pa4idoi]Pic1.jpg[/attachment:1pa4idoi]
[attachment=1:1pa4idoi]Pic3.jpg[/attachment:1pa4idoi]
[attachment=0:1pa4idoi]Pic5.jpg[/attachment:1pa4idoi]

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 224
If the heater is really junk might be a good time to yank it and install the ic40

Seems like you got a smok'n deal on that, I checked eBay but didn't see any in that price range, if by chance they are still available maybe you can pm me a link.
Thanks
Chris

Without an automation system/controller, am I understanding it correclty that the Intellichlor would be powered 24/7 and it senses when there is enough flow to generate chlorine? I am planning to only run my pump 10-12h on a very low speed (~25gpm) and then twice a day at a higher speed for skimming.

I have to say that after purchasing the intelliflo and Intellichlor in the last couple weeks, Pentair's manuals are really, really sad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
When you don't have an automation system you normally wire the IC40 to the output of the timer, so it only gets power when the pump is running.

Where I have the VS that runs its own schedule I basically have to put the VS and IC on a timer, or run the pump 24h? Or is the IC smart enough to know when it should run and when it shouldn't (even though it has power24h).

If a timer is the answer, amd I better off just looking for an automation system?

susa said:
Another alternative is here.

Susa, Thanks. I came across that last night when reading more posts about SWG's. I think that is likely the answer to what I'll need to do. Reading the post, I'll likely have to go down the 220V setup as it woudl require a seperate circuit setup also to do 110V.

Mark

Since you are not using the heater and are planning on replacing it, remove it now and install the SWG in its place. When you install the new heater make sure the SWG is installed after the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.