Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ordered IC40, Now what

1. Back To Top    #1

Ordered IC40, Now what

I just came across a deal on ebay too good to pass up (IC40 and Power center for $550 new and delivered). Still one left if anyone's looking for the system.

I was considering getting this setup, but never really looked into what's invovled in the setup after the units installed. Given I'm installing a new Intelliflo, I figured I should grab the deal and setup everything at once.

Is there a good thread on setting up the Pentair Intellichlor systems? It will just be the VS with SWG, as I donlt have any automation system yet. I didn't see a sticky in this SWG forum, but figured I'd ask for suggestions.
    IG, 13,000 gal, concrete, DE, VS Intelliflo Pump, Intellichlor SWG

San Diego, Ca.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ordered IC40, Now what

It's just a matter of plumbing it in and hooking it up according to the manual. Once you get it you'll have the manual to go by.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Coupel questions after a quick review of the manual.

- Can the SWG unit be mounted vertical, or does it half to be horizontal?
    - The manual states it is installed after the heater. Is this absolutley necessary? My problem is the plumbing comes out of the heater, straight into a valve, and then two vertical lines into the pad. There is just no room or place to insert the Intellichlor. For this to be installed after the heater, I'd need to run lines out and away from teh heater and then back, which is possible, but a real PITA.

San Diego, Ca.

4. Back To Top    #4

Post a pic of the pad and someone will have a suggestion. It's amazing what some people can figure out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by markmac
    Can the SWG unit be mounted vertical, or does it half to be horizontal?
    Yes, you can mount the IC40 vertically. You just need to make sure you have enough head to keep water moving effectively through the cell

Quote Originally Posted by markmac
    The manual states it is installed after the heater. Is this absolutley necessary? My problem is the plumbing comes out of the heater, straight into a valve, and then two vertical lines into the pad. There is just no room or place to insert the Intellichlor. For this to be installed after the heater, I'd need to run lines out and away from teh heater and then back, which is possible, but a real PITA.
    You really should not install a SWG in line before a heater. You want your SWG right before the water returns to the pool. Even though it might be more of a PITA to do the plumbing this way, it will you save you in the long run. You don't want to prematurely wear out your heater or any other equipment!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    You really should not install a SWG in line before a heater. You want your SWG right before the water returns to the pool. Even though it might be more of a PITA to do the plumbing this way, it will you save you in the long run. You don't want to prematurely wear out your heater or any other equipment!
    My heater is basically junk, and only worked twice since I purchased the house/pool last year.

San Diego, Ca.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Post a pic of the pad and someone will have a suggestion. It's amazing what some people can figure out.
    Here are a few pics of the items I inherited buying the house. I have an INtelliFlo VS and now Intellichlor to install (new heater hopefully next year). As I stated, the issue I see is the return from the heater is straght into the valve for the spa/pool return line. Best I can see, I need to shorten those two, and make a loop for the IntelliChlor to fit in before the valve (hence my question about mounting it vertical. However if I mount it vertical, it won't have the sugegsted 12-28" of straight pipe before the SWG. Since the heater is basically junk, maybe I just bypass it all together.

I'd welcome anyone with ideas.

[attachment=2:1pa4idoi]Pic1.jpg[/attachment:1pa4idoi]
    [attachment=1:1pa4idoi]Pic3.jpg[/attachment:1pa4idoi]
    [attachment=0:1pa4idoi]Pic5.jpg[/attachment:1pa4idoi]
    Attached Images Attached Images

San Diego, Ca.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ordered IC40, Now what

If the heater is really junk might be a good time to yank it and install the ic40

Seems like you got a smok'n deal on that, I checked eBay but didn't see any in that price range, if by chance they are still available maybe you can pm me a link.
    Thanks
    Chris
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Without an automation system/controller, am I understanding it correclty that the Intellichlor would be powered 24/7 and it senses when there is enough flow to generate chlorine? I am planning to only run my pump 10-12h on a very low speed (~25gpm) and then twice a day at a higher speed for skimming.

I have to say that after purchasing the intelliflo and Intellichlor in the last couple weeks, Pentair's manuals are really, really sad.

San Diego, Ca.

10. Back To Top    #10

When you don't have an automation system you normally wire the IC40 to the output of the timer, so it only gets power when the pump is running.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    When you don't have an automation system you normally wire the IC40 to the output of the timer, so it only gets power when the pump is running.
    Where I have the VS that runs its own schedule I basically have to put the VS and IC on a timer, or run the pump 24h? Or is the IC smart enough to know when it should run and when it shouldn't (even though it has power24h).

If a timer is the answer, amd I better off just looking for an automation system?

San Diego, Ca.

12. Back To Top    #12

>> If a timer is the answer, amd I better off just looking for an automation system?

Another alternative is here.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by susa
    Another alternative is here.
    Susa, Thanks. I came across that last night when reading more posts about SWG's. I think that is likely the answer to what I'll need to do. Reading the post, I'll likely have to go down the 220V setup as it woudl require a seperate circuit setup also to do 110V.

Mark

San Diego, Ca.

14. Back To Top    #14

Susa - do you have photos that still work? It seems they have moved or deleted and don't show up. Thanks!

15. Back To Top    #15

Since you are not using the heater and are planning on replacing it, remove it now and install the SWG in its place. When you install the new heater make sure the SWG is installed after the heater.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process