Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3800 ppm...Leave it or drain it?

1. Back To Top    #1

3800 ppm...Leave it or drain it?

I installed a new Hayward salt system on my pool last week and must have miscalculated the amount of salt to add. In any case, my salt sensor is telling me that my salt level is 3,800 ppm. Should I just leave it and let it come down over time, or should I drain some of the water and add fresh water to bring the level down?
    32,000 Gallon Plaster Pool
    Hayward Aqua Plus 40k Gallon Chlorine Generator w/ Controls PL-PLUS
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    Polaris 3900 Sport Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Polaris 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Pentair/PacFab Nautilus D.E. Filter 48 Sq Ft

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 3800 ppm...Leave it or drain it?

If you are producing chlorine, I would leave it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

3400 is the recomended high limit, but the readings on the panel are notoriously inaccurate. Generally it's better to have the level on the high side than low, so 3800 should be fine.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I had the water tested at a local pool supply store and they got the same reading, 3800. My biggest concern is having the pool taste like salt. I've had some people tell me that anything over 3000 and you start tasting the saltiness in the water. Those of you that have salt water pools, what's your experience?
    32,000 Gallon Plaster Pool
    Hayward Aqua Plus 40k Gallon Chlorine Generator w/ Controls PL-PLUS
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    Polaris 3900 Sport Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Polaris 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Pentair/PacFab Nautilus D.E. Filter 48 Sq Ft

5. Back To Top    #5

My experience has been that the Goldline units are very accurate displaying salt levels. Mine matches my drop kit very closely. However, not all SWGs are accurate.

Anyway, the high salt level is not a problem unless the unit shuts off due to high salt. The limit is actually not the salt level but the amps. If the unit exceeds 8 amps, it will shut down with a high salt warning. At that point, you will probably need to dilute the salt level. But if the unit operates without shutting down, then no harm.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

You can't taste salt at 3800. Your slightly above contact solution level. We don't tell people we have salt till afterwards to see there reaction! Most people no nothing about salt water pools, that is the one's that don't own them! My mother-in-law even argued with me until I showed her the salt! The most common reaction we hear is "The water is so soft, don't feel like I need to shower after we get out"! I will never go back to the old school way again! At 3800 as long as your producing CL I would leave it. Once the season gets in full swing with splash out and backwashing that will come down.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    You can't taste salt at 3800. Your slightly above contact solution level. We don't tell people we have salt till afterwards to see there reaction! Most people no nothing about salt water pools, that is the one's that don't own them! My mother-in-law even argued with me until I showed her the salt! The most common reaction we hear is "The water is so soft, don't feel like I need to shower after we get out"! I will never go back to the old school way again! At 3800 as long as your producing CL I would leave it. Once the season gets in full swing with splash out and backwashing that will come down.
    I can taste the salt in my pool and it's at 3300 ppm. But it barely noticable and it's not a problem.

I agree with the others that if your SWG is producing chlorine I would leave it alone. In fact, a decent rain could bring it down to below 3000. That's happened to me twice this spring.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with the others. Leave it, it will come down through splash out and back washing (if you have a sand or DE filter). If it isn't broken don't mess with it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida