Connecting flexible hose to fittings ?

WorBry

Nov 19, 2011
I'm about to replace and modify some of the plumbing on my AGP.

Does anyone have any tips on how to connect 1 1/2" PVC flex-pipe hosing (the ribbed stuff) to fittings with a barbed hose tail, without incurring loss of blood? The last time I tried, even with the aid of a little dish detergent, I ended up having to whack the fitting with a hammer to get the hose fully over the barb. Surely not the way to do it. There must be a knack.

If it's flex PVC pipe, then it would be best to use glue fittings. Flex PVC pipe is really not designed to be clamped.

If it's Flexible PVC Tubing or Hose, then it is designed to be used with clamps. It's important to determine which type of flex PVC you have and use the correct joining method.

When slipping Flexible PVC Tubing or Hose, or poly pipe over barbed fittings, it helps to warm the pipe with a hair-dryer. Don't overheat the pipe, or it can melt or burn.

Thanks for your reply. Your advice and an earlier thread on the subject of hoses and fittings prompted me to look at my existing plumbing in more detail.

flexible-pvc-and-smooth-fittings-avoid-at-all-costs-t38246.html?hilit=flexible%20hose%20fittings%20AGP

My pool and gear was 'inherited' from a relative. Fortunately I managed to find someone (ex pool company contractor) to install it, as none of pool stores would touch anything second-hand. Basically though, he re-used most of the original hosing and attached fittings (all clamped), replacing only the return line - and that was only because the original hose wasn't long enough to meet the new municipal regulations requiring the filter to be minimum 1.5m from the pool wall (apparently to avoid kids climbing into the pool off the filter). I wish now he'd been upfront and advised that all the plumbing really needed changing. Whilst I didn't have any leaks, when it came to disconnecting for the winter, it was apparent that some of the fittings were in a sorry state (explaining the copious silicone around the joints) as was some of the original hosing.

Whilst it is difficult to distinguish the type of hosing used solely on appearance (yes, it is that old and faded), it is just possible to make out the brand specification markings. I cant be sure about the main drain plumbing under the pool (I seem to recall solid PVC pipe when it was lying the garage), but TigerFlex F42MCR 1-1/2" hose (the normally opaque/beige ribbed hose - or is it flexi-pipe - some refer to it as 'spa hose') was used for the external part of that line to the under-skimmer 4-way valve. Don't want to touch that. I can imagine the havoc in attempting to disconnect the old and connect new hose to the buried elbow joint with pool water pouring out. Maybe a pro can do it fast.

The other lines (4-way valve to pump and pump to filter) are 1 1/2" TigerFlex CMH-41M, which I cant find listed as such, but it appears to have been originally translucent with white ribbing. The replaced return line is Eaton Arrow Flo H9 Type 9P - translucent with dark-ribbing. If I understand correctly, this type of flexible hose is intended to be used with 1 1/2" non-barbed fittings (double/reverse-clamped) , but 1-1/2" barbed (i.e. effective 1-5/8") connects with single clamps were used throughout and I can see no evidence of anything having been glued. Clearly the pro who installed it was more adept at getting 1-1/2 hose over 1 5/8" barbs. I'll maybe see how I get on with the hair-dryer/hot water trick.

I guess I could resort to using the more expensive TigerFlex F42MCR (or equivalent) throughout. I know (now) it is designed for S40 solvent-weld connections, but I don't really want to start gluing and, by all accounts, the barbed fittings/unions work OK. I don't even think the local pool store has solvent-weld versions of the quick-connect and stop-valve unions that I want to put in.

Edit: Just found a link for the Arrow-Flo hose:

http://www.jgbhose.com/Data_Returns/det ... d_id=14303

Says also to use with glue. This is confusing. Phoned a local pool store and they said, nah, clamps are OK. What type of fittings? Use smooth tail unions usually for that type of 'pool hose'. For the TigerFlex F42MCR 1-1/2" ('spa hose') use 1-1/2" (1-5/8") barbed fittings as the smooth-tail 1-1/2" fittings are too loose.

Cheers again.

Edit: Aaaaagrh.....after checking the hose I have in the store with the available fittings, turns out that both the TigerFlex CMH-41M and Arrow Flo H9 Type 9P hose are (although translucent) effectively the same as the (beige) TigerFlex F42MCR hose, in that smooth-tail fittings are too loose. Explains why all the original plumbing and changed return line were barb-clamped. The standard 1-1/2" (translucent-black ribbed) 'pool hose' (not sure of the brand), looks similar, but is much more flexible, has a narrower bore, and requires the smooth-tail fittings. Boy, you really need to be careful when choosing this stuff.

Guess I need to make a decision:

TigerFlex F42MCR 1-1/2" (or equivalent) - more expensive, less flexible - clamped/barbed fittings or glued (fittings/unions/valves?)
'Standard' 1-1/2" pool hose - cheaper, more flexible - clamped/smooth-tail fitting connections - but are they as secure ??

I know this thread has been a bit of a meander, but quite honestly I've been a bit mislead by pool stores in my locale.

Firstly, none of them supply genuine TigerFlex brand hose (anymore).

The 'spa hose' they supply (as equivalent to TigerFlex F42MCR) is made by SuperFlex:

http://superflex.com/superflex-spa-hose ... 1-1-2.html

The standard 'pool hose' they offer (transparent with white ribbing) has no markings on it to indicate the brand/specifications and no-one can tell me who the manufacturer is. One store offers it in 1-1/2" ID (for smooth-tail fittings) and 1-5/8" ID (for barbed tail fittings) sizes; I was previously lead to believe that only the 1-1/2" ID size was available. The fact that this hose is more flexible than the 'spa hose' has some appeal, but I am a bit concerned, in the absence of specifications, about the quality. - it even started to split (between the ribs) when I flexed it in the store.

The TigerFlex CMH-41M hose that I am looking to replace definitely feels more robust, albeit a little less flexible, but not as stiff as the 'spa hose'. The chances of finding more of the same seem remote. I cant find it listed in the TigerFlex catalogue (maybe discontinued/replaced) and have no way of knowing who installed the original pool plumbing. Obviously quality was more important then.

The Arrow Flo (H9 Type 9P) hose that was used to replace the return line seems a bit better than the generic (dare I say, 'economy') pool store hose, but I really would like to find something on par with the TigerFlex CMH-41M.

Can anyone suggest an alternative/reputable brand?

Thanks. Actually, my searching paid off. Found a local store supplying genuine TigerFlex.

He didn't have the CMH-41M but the F42MCR (spa hose) was the same price (1.99 $CAN/ft) as the rubbishy pool hose, and half the price of the SuperFlex (spa hose), being sold at the other pool stores. He even told me that some of hose sections I was looking to change were still OK, just sun scorched - looked worse than they were. But I was planning to modify the configuration a bit, and so decided change it all out for the F42MCR.

I thought I'd also be needing a new 3-way valve. The non-standard union that is an integral part of the valve had cracked. The other stores told that the union was not available as a part and I'd have to buy a new valve. This guy gave me the part FOC.

Now that's how service should be. No hard sell, interested and knowledgeable. I'll definitely being going back there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.