Stupid Assumption

May 31, 2010
Urbana, MO
I took the cover off and got the new sand filter set up. I had to set the filter aways from the pool so I hard plumbed halfway to the pool and then flex the rest of the way. It leaks in some places, which is probably a good thing with my test numbers. When I took the cover off and started the filter, I put 4 gallons of bleach in because I thought it was algae on the bottom. After I brused it up, it looks more like dirt instead. So, my chlorine is extremely high (because I'm stupid) :hammer: . I can't believe that the cya held over the winter. Will this chlorine dissapate? With the leaks, I have to add water anyway so I'm thinking that will help. This is also the first time I used my new testing kit, but I had used a drop type kit in the past so it was kinda familiar to me. What should I do next?
TA 100
CYA 90
FC 32
CC 0
CH 420
pH 7.6

Well, if you have a lot of dirt on the bottom, your probably would need to put extra chlorine in anyway. What really jumps out at me is your CYA. 90 is high and would require a fairly high residual FC level to operate the pool on a daily basis. Do you have a salt water chlorine generator? If not, you should probably change out water a little at a time (don't wan't to float the liner) in order to get that CYA down to around 40. Doing so should not only bring the FC down, but will bring the CYA down to a level that is more manageable.

Given your CYA level, that FC level is normal shock level, more than you need but not a real problem. Your FC should last several days to a week, depending on how much water replacement you end up needing to do.

CH is a little high. There is no immediate problem, but you do need to keep an eye on PH and keep it always below 8.0 until you get either TA or CH (or both) down a little.

No, don't have a salt water chlorine generator. I usually have to add muratic acid to get the TA down. We have really hard water here and with it being such a small pool, I usually have to add water several times over the summer. Lots of kids splashing it out, too!

Thanks so much. I love this site and have recommended it to everyone. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.