I can't get the main pump to pump water, only air

rocky

Jun 30, 2009
I am just coming out of the winter mode where I drained the water from sand filter and removed plugs on the filter pump and the Pentair automatic pool cleaner. Now I am trying to get to pool water balanced but I can't get the main pump to pump water. Only air. I have not changed the position of valves going to the skimmer and deep end. Looks like I need some directions.

Thanks

First lets check some obvious things: you need to fill the pump strainer basket with water and then close the lid before turning on the pump. You also need to have enough water in the pool that the water level is filling the skimmer(s) nicely.

More advanced: if you have valves that control various places the pump can draw water from, you want to adjust the valves so that only one water source is turned on. Then, after you get that one working, turn on the others one at a time very slowly so they can also get primed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.