Still shocking...

MrsFusion

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2010
SW Iowa
Okay, I've been working on shocking my pool since Thursday. Last night my FC was 22.5 after sun down. This morning it was 20.5. I did put a 3" puck(hth dual action chlorinating)in the skimmer. Took it out of the skimmer and put it in a floater around 3:30 today. Hoping it will slowing help raise the CYA, since I'm still shocking.

The numbers at 3:45 today-full sun from 11am- 3pm. Around 85 degrees today.

FC- 23
CYA-30
CH- 240
pH- 7.5

I'm still adding bleach every hour or so, gone through 6 bottles so far. The water is still milky whitish looking. Just wondering if this is normal? 4 days of shocking so far...
I think I have gotten all the leaves out, but, I can't see the bottom yet either. Just the normal surface debris from the trees/bugs.

And I'm almost out of the reagent for testing the chlorine. Can I use the yellow bottle R-0600 from the Taylor kit?

That sounds only slightly worse the usual. It can take a sand filter up to a week to completely clear the water after the algae is all dead, and since you lost some chlorine overnight it sounds like your algae isn't all completely dead just yet. You should see a visible improvement each day, perhaps only a small improvement, but something. If you aren't seeing any improvement then there might be something else going on.

You can't use R-0600 with the rest of the FAS-DPD chlorine test. R-0600 is only used for the OTO chlorine test, which will only tell you that chlorine levels are high in this particular situation.

At this point I wouldn't be adding chlorine hourly any more. Your FC level should not be falling to zero, or anywhere remotely close to that low, in only an hour, so switching to every four hours, or maybe even every six hours, should be plenty.

Was the tablet in there during the time you ran the overnight test. If it was, you lost more FC than it looks like you did. That's not a huge deal but when you get ready to run the OCLT for sure there can be nothing adding chlorine during that time.

If you ordered it from Dave it'll be there soon. In the mean time you can use the OTO kit and dilute a sample 2:1 with chlorine free water and multiply the result by three. It's not very accurate but it'll keep you at shock level.

Yes, I ordered from Dave, think it should be here tomorrow. I'm still making progress, today I can actually see the checkered pattern on the bottom of the pool now. It's not crystal clear yet...but, it's getting there :)

I would suggest waiting to turn on the SWG until you are done with the shocking process and passed all 3 tests.

If you do decide to start it now, at a minimum you have to remember to turn it OFF when doing the OCLT or your FC may go up ... it has happened :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, I did the overnight test last night. Didn't loss any FC. But, the water is still not clear. What do I do now? What level should I keep the FC at? It was 11.5 this morning. And when should I add more CYA? I've been running my filter 24/7 for 8 days now. It has turned colder again. Next week we have are supposed to have some nights in the 30's :(

Great progress!

I can take the filter a week or more to completely clear up the water after the algae is all dead. Passing the overnight FC loss test means the algae is now all dead. If everything is working correctly you should see a visible improvement in water clarity each day. It might be a little subtile, often checking which step on the ladder you can see works well.

I would maintain higher than usual FC Levels, but not be nearly as aggressive about making sure to maintain shock level as you have been.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.