Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC Ladder advice

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Ladder advice

This year I built a PVC ladder & attached it to a deck:

It's very sturdy, but I need something to make the rungs less slippery, and what can I do to "close" the ladder so a toddler doesn't climb up & get into the pool?

Thanks
    -Mark
    No pool right now: hoping for a gunite pool in the near future
    Previous pool (poles rusted out due to salt water):
    6300 gallon Intex above-ground pool
    2650 GPH Intex 100lb sand filter
    CS8110 Salt-water Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC Ladder advice

They make stick on slip resistant pads. Try a boat dealership or look for them online at a marine store
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Skate board grip tape, it comes in colors and prints. Check for a local skate shop or E-bay. Grainger or other industrial supply houses stock grip tape, also check flooring suppliers as black grip tape is sold for stair treads. The stuff I am thinking of looks like coarse sand paper.

PS I wish I had thought of your ladder when the one for my previous frame-set pool, I probably even had the scrap tubing!!!
    27' x 54" Cameo by Backyard Leisure (Wilbar) 17,200 gallon
    Hayward S180T filter with a 1.5hp pump
    Zodiac Barracuda Ranger vacuum
    GLI fencing around top rail
    All piping hard piped (that is what I do far a living!)
    six 2'x20' solar panels

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, Your ladder is wonderful! I wonder, would you mind posting a couple more pictures? Maybe the top rail and the part inside the pool? I have been looking for a pool entry system that would be more sturdy than the ones that come with the pools. Oh my word, the prices are exorbitant! I believe your ladder is just the ticket! Thank you.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

5. Back To Top    #5

Just brainstorming here but, for "closing" the ladder . . . In keeping with the pvc look, a frame made of pvc, with vertical pieces similar to your horizontal steps, covered with plexiglass (HD has it for cheap) screwed to the frame to cover the vertical pieces. This could be attached to the ladder with hinges (I'm thinking a pin type hinge like on a chainlink gate) on one side and a hasp and lock on the other. This would give the continuity of the pvc and little feet wouldn't be able to get a toe hold on the ladder rungs. What do you think?
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!

6. Back To Top    #6

You could wrap a layer of rope around each rung. Nylon or polypropylene won't rot, hemp or sisal may resist mold better.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

Nah, I want to make it easy to "open" and "close" the ladder. I tried using rope; I have a granddaughter and that didn't stop her at all. I temporarily put a big containr of dog food on the landing, that works for now. I like the idea of pvc/plexiglass. I'll have to give that a thought.

Taterfink, here's a more detailed look at the ladder:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU7YfL7GWus

8. Back To Top    #8

Very nice. May try to do something like this for my ring pool. We all have short legs and I have a almost 3 y/o that is getting pretty heavy to lift up and pass off. Plus he is all about let me do it now. I think I would make mine so I could just take it in and out like a normal ladder though. I am making a few other things with pvc soon like a holder for my cover and a towel tree and my favourite a shower and foot washer. May even try and make the pool cooler that everyone is making.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge

9. Back To Top    #9

LS1M, Thank you for the quick reply / link. I also appreciate the detail about pvc diameter and showing how the deck on top was bolted all the way thru the pvc. The skate board tape is a smart mod. Your filter and vac system are to envied. You put in a lot of effort and it shows. Thanks for sharing.

I am so looking forward to setting up a pool this year. We have a 16' quick set pool that we used last year and plan to graduate (Lord willing) to a
    larger ultra frame this year. It's already hot here in N. FL
    Angie M.

10. Back To Top    #10

I wasn't suggesting rope to stop people from going up, I was suggesting it as a non-slip covering for the rungs to keep people from going down when they don't mean to. I think it'd be cooler and less abrasive than non-skid strips. YMMV.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh, OK that makes more sense (the rope). Duh... the skateboard grip tape works really well. I was worried about it being too hot & burning our feet coming out of the pool, but since our feet our wet it hasn't been a problem. But, it's also not 99 degrees outside yet...

12. Back To Top    #12

Awesome ladder, going to have husband try to make one similar soon. We also have a 3 year old, just curious if you have you tried the hinged plexiglass mentioned above as a way to lock the ladder?
    Inground plaster. More information will be updated as I find the approximate numbers.

13. Back To Top    #13

No, not yet. I've been just keeping a heavy box on top of the stairs so she can't climb past it. I really need to get done, though - should be pretty easy...

14. Back To Top    #14

I notice there is a hole in the middle of the middle rung on your ladder. What if you were to drill holes in the center of each rung. You could than cut a piece of plexi glass or any other readily available material and drill holes that align with the holes in the ladder. Throw a few wing nuts and bolts in there and voila.
    18' X 48" Intex Ultra Frame 6,400 gallons, Jacuzzi 90# Sand Filter, Jacuzzi 1HP Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

I would look for a different method. Drilling holes in the rungs will weaken them, especially right in the center.

16. Back To Top    #16

So how about a u bolt that goes around the center rung and connects to a piece of plexi glass. If you DOD that with wing nuts it would go on easy and you'd only have to deal with 2 nuts.
    18' X 48" Intex Ultra Frame 6,400 gallons, Jacuzzi 90# Sand Filter, Jacuzzi 1HP Pump

17. Back To Top    #17

That'd work. So would a 'J' bolt (hook), with one hole.

18. Back To Top    #18

Great idea on building the ladder, I will bookmark this thread for sure.

As for keeping the lil ones off the ladder:

Take some white canvas or heavy vinyl and fasten it to one side of your ladder, and put snaps on the other side, make it tight enough that you would have to put some sortof effort into closeing it, that way the little ones couldn't get it off.

That would be rather simple and cheap, plus it would look pretty good.

You could put snaps on both sides or screw the one side and snap the other.

Any hobby shop should have everything you need to do it that way.

Even a piece of canvas or vinyl with eyelets on both sides and bungi cords in the back would work pretty well.

Any boat store and prehaps even Wally World should have the non-slip tape for the rungs.

Good luck
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

19. Back To Top    #19

Tada!

I put in four little eye-hooks, bought a piece of plexiglass, and cut slits in it where the eye-hooks go, and "closed" the ladder by using those spring-loaded clippy things (technical term...)

Try to climb that, little cute grand-baby!

-Mark

20. Back To Top    #20

Wonderful! And astheticaly appealing too!

Angie M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast