swg cost vs. running BBB

Jun 3, 2011
Hi, i have been seriously considering pulling the trigger on a swg, I almost just ordered one online lol! :hammer:
looking at the compupool cpsc 36 or 48, about 100 difference between the 2
should i get the bigger one for a pool ~18k gallons?
they seem to run ~600-700
replacement cells seem to run ~400, so i am figuring would need new cell every 3-4 years.
figure ~200 for salt (~18k gallon pool)

seems like BBB is much less expensive alternative to swg so i guess i am wondering does a swg really eventually pay for itself as compared to BBB?
I am on the fence of running a liquidator or a swg so i guess looking for some assurance that its really cost affective to run a swg?
thanks in advance!

Averaged out over 5 years, they're gonna run neck and neck.....with the added benfit of the SWG being more "maintenance" efficient i.e.---your time and pain of hauling bleach bottles. Most recommended a SWG double the capacity of your pool.. the larger one may be overkill or not provide the same return on investment.

The cost balance works out differently for different pools. Averaging over many different pools, SWG and bleach end up being about the same cost overall. Generally speaking a SWG is a better deal for a larger pool. That allows you to amortize the cost of the control panel against a larger base line chlorine usage.

The larger SWG is a better deal in the long run. It costs more up front, but will last enough longer that it more than makes up for the extra cost. A larger SWG is also more flexible at dealing with things like short pump run times, etc.

You should also ask yourself how many times have you gotten to a point that you require shocking. Adding manually I inevitably let it fall too low and would have the unnecessary expense of extra bleach for shocking a few times a year. Less likely to happen by user error with an automated generation system.

Also, salt is much cheaper than that. Make sure you measure before adding any because ther emay be salt in your source water and bleach adds salt too over time. $5 for 40 pounds at either of the big box hardware stores. I'd be surprised if you need more than $50 worth.

Thanks for the replies guys, I figure for ~18k gallon pool would need about 10 bags or so and been seeing the solar salt for ~6-7 bucks a bag, so I am guessing about 70 or so for salt. I am leaning towards the swg now I just had not really priced them and got sticker shock :)

Other costs you may want to consider-
Bleach - $1.50/96oz., you WILL want it on hand for shocking(if needed.) You'll need 6.6 jugs if you are at 4 FC and want to shock to 21 (with a CYA of 80.)(http://www.poolcalculator.com/)(Most SWG recommend against use of calcium bound chlorine normally sold at pool stores as "shock".)

Borax - 20 mule team is $3.79/box at a wal-mart near me. My 24k pool takes 18.5 boxes for 40-50 ppm target. I'd use it with or without SWG to lock in ph and add mild "safety" algaecide level.

CYA - also called stabilizer, $3/pound, you'll need enough to get up to your SWG recommended level (usually 70-100ppm.)

Muriatic Acid - $2.99/gallon and getting harder to find, need it with borax to set ph, need it with SWG to maintain ph and to clean cell. (Most SWG recommend against use of dry acid)

Baking soda - $0.50/pound, need it with tablets/pucks to reduce ph

The unknown variable that makes all of the difference-
POP - Pool Owner Patience - $???/large quantities - keeps life more enjoyable!

It's a hole in the ground where your money goes -
How nice of a hole do you want? How much money do you Have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.