New to all of this testing!

esdd

Feb 12, 2012
Greenville Indiana
I am new to this fourm and all of this tessting, I found this forum when I recently began looking for a new pool. I am concerned with the level of total alkalinity found. The pool has been filled for about 3 weeks with water from the tap and about 4" of rainwater. The rain has brought the ph down to 7.4 from the 8.2 from the tap. My levels are as follows:

FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
PH 7.4
TA 250
CH 250

Should I be concerned with the total alkalinity levels in an above ground pool with a vinyl liner?
The Pool will have boric acid and salt added to the proper levels to improve feel, I may add a SWG later.
Have I missed anything?

TIA Eric

If this is a totally fresh fill for the pool, you're gonna need some CYA in there to help prevent a massive chlorine loss due to sun/temp. See the chlorine/cya chart in pool school. The TA will drop over time as you add muriatic acid to keep lowerin PH. It is not an overwhelming concern. Please add a signatue line to your profile and tell us about your pool like mine below.

The main problem with high TA levels is indirect. High TA tends to raise the PH fairly rapidly, and the high PH is the real problem. Your high TA, combined with some of your other levels, also puts you at risk for calcium scaling. As long as you keep the PH at 7.6 or lower you should be fine. Over time that will drive the TA down. However, if the PH goes up rapidly enough to be annoying, you can work more aggressively to lower the TA level, which will slow the rate at which PH increases and reduce the chances of calcium scaling.

That is munincipal tap water!!! The water in my area comes from deep wells off of limestone beds, I am lucky to have a low ph level from the tap of 8.1 right now,in the summer the ph regularly exceeds 9.0 and the desovled solids will precipitate out of suspension. If I fill a clean clear glass and let it sit overnight thete will be a milky white residue on the bottom in the morning. The rain water that we have recieved in the last 3 weeks have pulled the ph down. The joke is if you want to pour a sidewalk just run the garden hose overnight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.