Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water and sediment with Zeosand

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water and sediment with Zeosand

I changed my sand to zeosand last fall and I am still having problems with cloudy water and sediment. I was told that there would be some clouding from the Zeosand initially, but it would clear up. If I shut the pump off for a day or two, the water clears up and you can see a layer of sediment on the bottom of the pool. I have vacuumed this sediment to waste about 8-9 times and it still keeps returning.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water and sediment with Zeosand

When you vaccum, try vaccuming the sediment to waist and get rid of it. How much did you backwash? I just set up a pool with zeo sand, i back washed 6 times with 3 minute cycles with a rince after the 3rd back wash. Course i was using a 1.5 hp pump with my 16" sand filter, it would drop my pool by 3 inches atleast, then i would refill and do another back wash. I have clear water now and i have been using it now for days.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Zeo often needs a good ten minutes to half an hour of backwashing when it is new to avoid this exact problem. There are situations where even that doesn't take care of it. Occasionally you get a bad batch of zeo, which is softer than usual, and it is constantly getting crushed and thus continues to put dust into the pool until it is replaced.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I imagine the size of the sand filter/ amount of zeolite needed effects on how long of a backwash is needed to wash the zeolite clean.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Welcome to TFP!

Zeo often needs a good ten minutes to half an hour of backwashing when it is new to avoid this exact problem. There are situations where even that doesn't take care of it. Occasionally you get a bad batch of zeo, which is softer than usual, and it is constantly getting crushed and thus continues to put dust into the pool until it is replaced.
    I am thinking that this "bad batch" idea may apply. I did the initial backwash for 15 minutes as recommended by the pool supply store. It has been a problem for 6 months and it has been backwashed several times. One time I backwashed about 12 inches of water out of the pool to try to fix this with no help. (I also had too much CYA that I needed to get rid of)

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to the forum 8850FOX!
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School