Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I hate when pool stores take advantage of people

1. Back To Top    #1
    Mobile, Alabama

I hate when pool stores take advantage of people

I had to go to the pool store to get a tail scrubber for the polaris. While I was waiting I overheard another customer ask the clerk about something to rise the alkalinity in their pool. The clerk asked how big the pool was then picked up two 5 lb buckets of something called Alkalinity-up. The price was $14.95 per bucket. The customer paid and left.

When I got up the register I asked the clerk why he recommended the Alkalinity-up instead of a 50 lb bag of sodium bicarbonate they had for $22. The clerk told me they were two different chemicals. Alkalinity-up was sodium hydrogen carbonate not sodium bicarbonate and was much more effective. I almost choked trying to keep my mouth shut and another guy standing next to me looked at me and rolled his eyes.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I hate when pool stores take advantage of people

It never ends and those pool store jerks act like they are Chemical Engineers. It is very difficult for me not to argue with them so I avoid them. There hasn't been a time I've been in one of those stores that I didn't over hear or eves drop on someone getting taken. It is all I can do not to say "hey, there is a better way". Or.... hey you don't have to do that!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr