Sealing pavers?

mx702

Aug 2, 2010
MA
I had about 1600 sqft of pavers installed last spring and now I think it's time to apply a protectant. I'm looking for a sealer that leaves a "wet look". Does anyone have any experience or familiarity with a product that can achieve these results without compromising traction?

I may or may not help. I gave some serious thought to sealing the tile and grout I put down around the pool but, based on some pretty experienced opinions, the thinking was the UV light from the sun and general wear and tear would pretty much wear out the sealer in a season or so...perhaps less.

Also, I can't imagine ANY sealer that wouldn't reduce the traction of your pavers....just the very nature of sealing would make them more slippery.

My tiles have been down for about five years and the grout has taken on a very "weathered" look that may not be the prettiest but it's OK and I don't have to EVER do anything to it.

Johnbridge.com is the best tile forum on the net, IMHO, and they may have a better answer over there.

mikespoolfl said:
Wet look and water and you will have a very slick and slippery surface.

Depends on the sealer. Unilock sealer wont make them slippery at all. Only reason to seal pavers is to potentially cut down on staining or change the look of them a little bit. It wont make them last any longer.

mx702,

Go down to Dauphinais landscape supply on 146 and talk to them. They'll help you out.

I appreciate the replies. :cheers:

Reducing the amount/severity of stains from spills and such is the main motivation to seal the pavers. However, the wife really likes the darker look the pavers take on when wet, so I was hoping to find a sealer that could do both. My installer had said they do make such a product and he was sure it would not adversely effect the grip. I was skeptical though because everything I had seen/read said otherwise.

BK,

I will take your advice and take a swing by Dauphinais. Do you have sealed pavers?

No, I didn't seal mine. I did seal the stone coping in 09. I have thought about using the Unilock wet look stuff on the front walk and front patio, but other projects have gotten in the way. The Unilock wet look sealer sinks into the paver. It's not like your putting a glaze on them.

Have you opened yet? I'm still shooting for patriots day.

yeah, I opened a couple weeks ago during the heat wave. I knew it was too early and we'd have more sub-freezing weather, but I had that week off and it was good time to bang it all out. Also, the sun/warmth provided optimal condtions to dry out my cover. Can't wait for the water temp to get above 60 so I can turn on the SWG. That thing really spoils ya...I know the BBB method is tried n true, but I can't imagine having to manually dose everday. :shock:

Can't wait for the water temp to get above 60 so I can turn on the SWG. That thing really spoils ya...I know the BBB method is tried n true, but I can't imagine having to manually dose everday.
Just to clear up any misconception if newbies are reading this thread, practicing BBB is not about manually dosing with chlorine. It is about testing your water accurately and knowing what to do with the test reseults to keep your water crystal clear. Hundreds, if not thousands of folks on here are BBB'rs and use an SWG. It sounds to me like mx702 is a BBB'r to because he understands what he is doing. :-D

Sorry for the confusion. I'm pretty much a newb myself, but I thought maintaining your pool using just 3 basic grocery store items(which I assumed were manually dosed) was practicing BBB. As opposed to purchasing all the fancy high priced and often unnecessary chemicals pushed at the pool store. I guess I never considered myself a BBB'r because I use none of those chemicals. (CL yes, but actual bleach no)

I used a BP wet look sealer and added a small jar of special "grip" material which was basically very fine sand. Sorry I can't remember the name of it right now though. No problems with traction when wet.

I suggest you visit a local masonry supply store, that's where I got mine. They will have sample sized bottles of sealer that are usually free, and will sell the grip additive as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning I applied a sealer, Rexell Acrylic Sealer, to my paving stones in my front yard. When they were installed they said to do this every 6 months so now at two years I am just now getting around to it. They look beautiful and brand new and took me only a few minutes to roll it out. Mine are textured and they don't seem to be anymore slippery with the coating, but mine are not wet. Mine are subjected to over 100 degree summers, but the original coating had not started peeling, they just looked dull.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.