Cartridge filter and a DE filter together?? Help me....

Mar 31, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Hi, im a new pool owner. Just came around to fixing her up.

I currently have a 2.6hp pump, 32sqf de filter, 1/2hp blower for polarius 360 and a brand spanking new heater.

my problem is get too much debris in the pool. leaves and bugs. i recently cleaned the de filter. noticed a torn grid. replaced it and replaced the o ring. the amount of debris is now being returned to pool is minimal. but still is enough to gross out people. so i thought screw this i want a new set up with less maintenanace. my water clarity is great. i have it checked out regularly from leslies pool as i drive past it on the water to work so they can test it for me everyday for free!!

so i figured this.....

if i get a new pentair 3hp variable speed pump with a hayward 175 sqf cartridge filter will this improve my situation?

I've know that brits/austrailans use a pre-filter in there set up. i know this is uncommon is usa. but it does produce some great results.

so i wondered....

if i get the new 3hp pump can i use both the cartridge filter then the old de filter in my set up? i understand that de powder can ruin a cartridge filter but what if i add de powder direct to the filter after cleaning?? or have the de filter 1st in line to the pump then 2nd is the cartridge filter??

many thanks for anybodys help in replying

Welcome to TFP!

If you want simplicity you should get a larger cartridge filter. Larger filters don't need to be cleaned as often. Putting two filters in series makes for even more work than you are doing now and will reduce the overall system efficiency noticeably.

We don't recommend using chlorine tablets long term because they constantly add CYA to the water. Eventually the CYA level gets too high and you have problems. If, despite that, you want to continue using tablets, a tablet feeder/chlorinator is a very convenient way to use them. There are a couple of different approaches for adding chlorine used by people on the forum. By far the two most popular are liquid chlorine added manually, and SWGs (salt water chlorine generators).

I agree with Jason that tablets are not your best method. You COULD (but shouldn't :lol: ) use them in the skimmer basket with your plaster pool but it can still be hard to control and an erosion feeder (inline tab chlorinator) is much easier to manage.

That said, if you use tabs, you MUST keep an eye on your CYA and monitor it with frequent testing. This forum is chock full of pool owners who have sworn off the tabs and gone to the far-better-for-your-pool route of liquid chlorine or an SWG.

What are your current CYA levels? Have you gotten to the FC/CYA relationship chart in Pool School? There is a ton of information in there and will help you get a better understanding of why we don't suggest the tabs.

Welcome to tfp, simonrose2000 :wave:
simonrose2000 said:
I've heard good and bad stories about salt water do I'm not completely convinced yet....
If you do some searching around this forum (the google search on the lower left works best) you will find many people happy with swgs and very few unhappy. When there are complaints, most have to do with corrosion(however, most modern pool equipment can handle the low salt levels required by swgs without any issues with corrosion) and errosion of some soft stonework near the pool edge. I have a swg and I love it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.