pump leaking air?????

fishunt

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
Lebanon,Tn
I have a new Pool :party: the pump I have is a IntelliFlo 3HP VS, we started it up last thursday, I noticed there is air going thru the pump and into the filter. Pool builder said it was sucking air thur the skimer. So we raised the water lvl, still has air going thur thu the pump and into the filter, when i bleed the filter lots of air comes out till i see water in the bleed vlv, This is not right is it?

Start with checking your water level, then check your skimmer wiers (flapping door in skimmers).. Check to see if any debri is on lid oring.. This is where I would start..

This is not right is it?
No, it's not. You have a common problem we refer to as a suction side air leak. The suction side of your system starts at the skimmer and goes to the impeller of the pump. Somewhere between those two points, air is being pulled into the system and it shouldn't be.

The most common places are the lid on the pump strainer basket, defective valves, drain plugs at the bottom of the strainer basket, etc.

It is also possible your impeller is clogged with debris which is causing the pump to pull extra hard and suck in air where it normally would not.

I would start by removing the pump basket lid, inspecting the impeller, inspecting the o-ring around the lid, inspecting the drain plug(s) and then start working your way towards the skimmer.

Rarely is it an underground pipe so don't worry much about that.

We presser tested the two lines going to the skimmers. pres held good.The main drain we did not.Did not want to go swimming. you don't really notice it when the pump is on the # 3 setting, but when it is on the #2 setting you can really see it and hear it. I will look at the pump tomorrow. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.