I have read up on Pool School and ordered the TF-100 test kit to make more accurate tests. It is clear that I need to shock the pool. We have some algae, but the pool is still pretty clear. The results from my testing (2 of them) show the Combined Chlorine very high (7.5ppm). Granted, my experience with this stuff is close to nil. Thus, my post here.
Do these combined chlorine levels seem so far out of whack that I mucked up the test??? Or, are these results high, but reasonable. Here are the specifics
pH - 7.6
FC - 4ppm
CC - 7.5
CYA - 50
TA - 105
SWG pool, ~16,000 gallons. Also, it should be noted that I dumped 1 gallon of regular 6% chlorine bleach in the pool the night before to try and slow the rate of growth until the test kit arrived in the mail. Perhaps this is relevant.
Any help would be appreciated.