Well I'm ashamed to admit that I've neglected my pool for a year due to certain events in my life, but now I have dedicated time and in a better position to take care of the pool.
It is a 9,000 gallon free form plaster pool and the water is brown.... It is connected to a cartridge filter.
I was planning to just keep on shocking it and adding bleach until it clears up, but my co-worker told me I'm better off draining, cleaning and refilling the pool. He says I'll probably be spending $300-$400 on shock and bleach before the water gets better. I know there are lots of experts on here and wanted to know your opinions on this.