Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reviving 1 year neglected pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Reviving 1 year neglected pool

Well I'm ashamed to admit that I've neglected my pool for a year due to certain events in my life, but now I have dedicated time and in a better position to take care of the pool.

It is a 9,000 gallon free form plaster pool and the water is brown.... It is connected to a cartridge filter.

I was planning to just keep on shocking it and adding bleach until it clears up, but my co-worker told me I'm better off draining, cleaning and refilling the pool. He says I'll probably be spending $300-$400 on shock and bleach before the water gets better. I know there are lots of experts on here and wanted to know your opinions on this.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Reviving 1 year neglected pool

Welcome to tfp, jman17

Most pools can be cleaned up without a full drain, in fact for some pools you should not drain due to potential damage. To start with take a look at this post: There is a lot of good information in poolschool, see the link in my signature.

In order for us to help you, we will need test results. See this link:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

New Caney, Texas

Welcome to TFP jman17!
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Almost never a really good reason to drain a pool. The water in there is perfectly just have to get the junk out of it. I know that sounds silly, but if you think of it like that, it's helpful.

You'll have to spend some physical labor whether you drain or not and the expense of chlorine will be FAR less than your co-worker thinks.

The Cartridge filter will require frequent attention once you start to clear but it's a very doable project to clear your water without draining.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Noblesville, IN

I like seeing before and after pics so post em up or risk pizzing off the pool Gods. Lots of smart people here to help you.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.