Is this algae??

May 16, 2011
Mobile, AL
Earlier this week we uncovered our above ground pool. Our pool was installed last year so this is our first attempt at getting a pool ready after winter. It had green algae but we shocked the pool and the algae is gone. We are in the process of getting clear water instead of cloudy water. Just today I noticed stuff around the water line. We scrubbed the stuff and it is thick and greasy. The only way to remove it from the scrub brush was with dawn soap. This is only located at the water level. If you feel down the sides of the pool this is not under the water. Does anyone know what this is???
157ux5.jpg

zea3 said:
I'm not sure. What did you use to shock the pool?

First we used a brand of powder shock by Pool Essentials and then we used Aqua Chem Shocks water clear.

We need to order the good testing kit so it is hard to get good readings. We are going to go to a pool store tomorrow that a friend uses (she said they are honest and won't dupe you) so they can read the water and tell us what we need to do. I've tried to google this issue but it is hard to find answers because I'm not sure what I need to google to figure out what this gooey stuff is.

Hi maajick and welcome to TFP! :)
I would for sure get your TF-100 kit ordered so you can post your own test results as a lot of pool store testing can be inaccurate.
Stay away from powdered shock bags and use liquid chlorine until you have your test results.
You need to have a complete set of test results posted here so that we can have better answers for you!

Chuck

I have the same problem. my wife had a pool cleaner come out and they said it was flock. We were informed to add flock to the pool run the pump for two to four hours then turn off the pump to let it settle. Then vacuum it very slowly to waste setting on the filter. After that we are to recirculate then rinse. We will need to add more Water when we are done and probably reset our ph and other levels.

Hope this helps you. I may have the order wrong of some of these steps so its best to check with a pool cleaner or from others on site.

My guess is if it's greasy and along the water line is that it's a combination of sunscreen/tanning lotion and what ever dirt and grit thats on the water surface gets attracted to it. We had your same goo at the water line one year and it was a major pita to get off as it just wants to smear when scrubbed. Now we don't allow guests that heavily slather that stuff on into the pool and we since haven't had any more goo on the water line.

Thanks for the responses. Not sure what it was, but it is gone for now! Our pool is finally clear.....we did not know about the waste setting so we were vacuuming for hours just recirculating the cloudy stuff back in the pool. Once we vacuumed to waste the pool is ready to go! It just needs to get warmer so we can throw a pool party!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.