Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this algae??

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this algae??

Earlier this week we uncovered our above ground pool. Our pool was installed last year so this is our first attempt at getting a pool ready after winter. It had green algae but we shocked the pool and the algae is gone. We are in the process of getting clear water instead of cloudy water. Just today I noticed stuff around the water line. We scrubbed the stuff and it is thick and greasy. The only way to remove it from the scrub brush was with dawn soap. This is only located at the water level. If you feel down the sides of the pool this is not under the water. Does anyone know what this is???
    Kristyn

8100 Gal 12X20 vinyl IG pool. Hayward H200 heater, super pump and Pro Grid DE3620 Filter.TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this algae??

I'm not sure. What did you use to shock the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    I'm not sure. What did you use to shock the pool?
    First we used a brand of powder shock by Pool Essentials and then we used Aqua Chem Shocks water clear.

We need to order the good testing kit so it is hard to get good readings. We are going to go to a pool store tomorrow that a friend uses (she said they are honest and won't dupe you) so they can read the water and tell us what we need to do. I've tried to google this issue but it is hard to find answers because I'm not sure what I need to google to figure out what this gooey stuff is.
    Kristyn

8100 Gal 12X20 vinyl IG pool. Hayward H200 heater, super pump and Pro Grid DE3620 Filter.TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Could it be pollen?
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I thought it looked like potllen as well.
    30,000 gunnite with emerald bay pebble tec
    Pentair fns 60 square feet DE filter
    Whisperflow 0.75 hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi maajick and welcome to TFP!
    I would for sure get your TF-100 kit ordered so you can post your own test results as a lot of pool store testing can be inaccurate.
    Stay away from powdered shock bags and use liquid chlorine until you have your test results.
    You need to have a complete set of test results posted here so that we can have better answers for you!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same problem. my wife had a pool cleaner come out and they said it was flock. We were informed to add flock to the pool run the pump for two to four hours then turn off the pump to let it settle. Then vacuum it very slowly to waste setting on the filter. After that we are to recirculate then rinse. We will need to add more Water when we are done and probably reset our ph and other levels.

Hope this helps you. I may have the order wrong of some of these steps so its best to check with a pool cleaner or from others on site.

8. Back To Top    #8

My guess is if it's greasy and along the water line is that it's a combination of sunscreen/tanning lotion and what ever dirt and grit thats on the water surface gets attracted to it. We had your same goo at the water line one year and it was a major pita to get off as it just wants to smear when scrubbed. Now we don't allow guests that heavily slather that stuff on into the pool and we since haven't had any more goo on the water line.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the responses. Not sure what it was, but it is gone for now! Our pool is finally clear.....we did not know about the waste setting so we were vacuuming for hours just recirculating the cloudy stuff back in the pool. Once we vacuumed to waste the pool is ready to go! It just needs to get warmer so we can throw a pool party!!
    Kristyn