How long do you run your cleaner?

mxdad777

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2012
Northern California
I just bought a new Polaris 3900 pool cleaner and was wondering how long I should expect to run it to keep the pool clean? I know at different times of the year it will change, but what's a good starting point? My pool is 35,000 gal, 20x40 free form. Thanks!

The amount of time you have to run your cleaner will vary from pool to pool. Obviously size plays a factor, but so does debris that might fall into the pool. Do you have trees nearby (and leaves falling in the pool)? Keep an eye on your cleaner the first few times you run it - and you will get a good idea about how quickly it cleans your specific pool. You don't have to watch the entire cleaning cycle, but check on it every 20-30 minutes and see how its doing.

I set mine to run two hours a day and it does a good job keeping it clean! I would suggest starting out at your Highest estimate and then slowly cutting it back every week until you are unhappy then bumping it up a bit. I imagine that will change with the seasons anyway.

minimum 2hrs/week, when I have time 4hrs/week, anything more than 5hrs/week would be wasted. Basically, every wednesday afternoon I throw the robot in the pool and try to remember to check on it throughout the rest of the day...when it looks clean enough and has covered everything and I have another few minutes, I yank it out and perform robot maintenance before putting it away.

Newbie question here- By cleaner are y'all talking about something different from my Polaris 165? We've just keep that hooked up on a return thingiemabob. (Is there an official name for the outlet?) when we're not in the pool and let it run continuously whenever the pump is in action. Currently that's 8 hours/day. Other than picking up the odd stray bit of flotsam and jetsam that lands in the pool does it perform any other function?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run my cleaner for 35-45 mins, that's how long it takes me to properly clean my pool manually. Much quicker than those silly expensive robots. When you consider how much this forum de bunks rubbish products I can't believe people still buy them.

Speedo said:
teapot said:
I run my cleaner for 35-45 mins, that's how long it takes me to properly clean my pool manually.
My cleaner only runs for about 25 minutes or so and then my arms get tired and I would rather swim :lol:
Get yourself Wall Whale it will save your arm ache. I clean my pool quicker too but didn't want to upset robot owners too much :lol:

teapot said:
I clean my pool quicker too but didn't want to upset robot owners too much :lol:
Don't worry teapot, I doubt a single bot owner is upset by these comments. :wink: I think the general populace of auto pool cleaner owners is amused at the very idea of manually vacuuming a pool... :lol:

I run ours for 30 min a day. When there is more debris and leaves falling I set the timer to run once in the morning and once in the evening for 30 min each time. At first I was running it longer, but realized it is capable of Cleaning pretty much everything out of the pool in 30 min.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.