Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How long do you run your cleaner?

How long do you run your cleaner?

I just bought a new Polaris 3900 pool cleaner and was wondering how long I should expect to run it to keep the pool clean? I know at different times of the year it will change, but what's a good starting point? My pool is 35,000 gal, 20x40 free form. Thanks!
    32,000 Gallon Plaster Pool
    Hayward Aqua Plus 40k Gallon Chlorine Generator w/ Controls PL-PLUS
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    Polaris 3900 Sport Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Polaris 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Pentair/PacFab Nautilus D.E. Filter 48 Sq Ft

Re: How long do you run your cleaner?

The amount of time you have to run your cleaner will vary from pool to pool. Obviously size plays a factor, but so does debris that might fall into the pool. Do you have trees nearby (and leaves falling in the pool)? Keep an eye on your cleaner the first few times you run it - and you will get a good idea about how quickly it cleans your specific pool. You don't have to watch the entire cleaning cycle, but check on it every 20-30 minutes and see how its doing.

I set mine to run two hours a day and it does a good job keeping it clean! I would suggest starting out at your Highest estimate and then slowly cutting it back every week until you are unhappy then bumping it up a bit. I imagine that will change with the seasons anyway.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

I run for 3 hours. I could probably get away with less, but the 3 hour cycle works well for us.
    33,000 Gallon Vinyl Liner In-Ground Pool
    Intelliflo VS Pump; Triton II TR100 Sand Filter with Plumbed Waste Line
    IC40 SWG Cell; Easy Touch 4 Control Panel; Polaris PB4-60Q Halcyon Booster Pump
    Polaris 280 Automatic Cleaner; Dedicated return line; 1/2 Full Beer, Something on the Weber;
    AND, most importantly a TF100 Test Kit and a SpeedStir.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll start at 3 hours and make adjustments from there. I don't have any tree problems except in the fall and we get a north wind.
    32,000 Gallon Plaster Pool
    Hayward Aqua Plus 40k Gallon Chlorine Generator w/ Controls PL-PLUS
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    Polaris 3900 Sport Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Polaris 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Pentair/PacFab Nautilus D.E. Filter 48 Sq Ft

Senior Member In the Industry

2 to 4 hrs in normal for most pools.

90-minutes keeps mine looking great any time other than when the leaves are raining from the sky.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

I run mine for five hours. I don't have any main drains so I use it to stir the deep end. So far it's been working well.
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

minimum 2hrs/week, when I have time 4hrs/week, anything more than 5hrs/week would be wasted. Basically, every wednesday afternoon I throw the robot in the pool and try to remember to check on it throughout the rest of the day...when it looks clean enough and has covered everything and I have another few minutes, I yank it out and perform robot maintenance before putting it away.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

Newbie question here- By cleaner are y'all talking about something different from my Polaris 165? We've just keep that hooked up on a return thingiemabob. (Is there an official name for the outlet?) when we're not in the pool and let it run continuously whenever the pump is in action. Currently that's 8 hours/day. Other than picking up the odd stray bit of flotsam and jetsam that lands in the pool does it perform any other function?
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, Compupool SWCG, Hayward 300# 62 GPM Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, colorful Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/our-p...rd-t49241.html
    TF-100 Test Kit--> http://www.tftestkits.net/

Senior Member In the Industry

I run my cleaner for 35-45 mins, that's how long it takes me to properly clean my pool manually. Much quicker than those silly expensive robots. When you consider how much this forum de bunks rubbish products I can't believe people still buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by teapot
    I run my cleaner for 35-45 mins, that's how long it takes me to properly clean my pool manually.
    My cleaner only runs for about 25 minutes or so and then my arms get tired and I would rather swim
    Aaron
    TFP Expert - As proven by three years of crystal clear water :D
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG / Hard plumb: Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG / Taylor K-2006 / Central IL ]