No suction at the skimmer. Please Help. I am new to this.

Mar 30, 2012
I noticed today that there is no suction at my skimmer. I have an inground pool with a cartridge filter. There are no special valves or anything to switch lines. The jet is working. the pump seems to be primed. i opened the pump and put the hose in and then turned it on and it sucks automatically. I have been scouring the web for hours and I can't find the info I need. everyone seems to have fancy pumps with special valves and stuff. Mine is very simple and probably old. I just moved into this house about a month ago. Please help. I put algaecide in the pool two days ago and just noticed today that the skimmer doesnt seem to be sucking at all. so the pool is still green and i cant vacuum or anything. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Also, the pool is filled to the appropriate level.

Re: No suction at the skimmer. Please Help. I am new to thi

Hi, welcome to tfp! Can you post a picture of your pump and skimmer? That will help us to troubleshoot your problem. Have you checked if there is any blockage in the line from the skimmer to the pump?

How can I check this? I will post pics shortly if I can get a decent one. Also, the skimmer has two holes. I am not sure what they are for or which one is supposed to be sucking. Thanks for the welcome! I am very thankful for this site.

Glad you resolved your problem. The bottom left of every page has a google search box. A lot of times you can find the info you need by doing a search there, and there is almost always someone around to answer questions any time of day.

What covet did upu put in that covers. 1 hole? Usually there I'd a plate with a float in it. By moving a slider on it you affect how much water is pulled from the floor (the other hole) and how much from the Skimmer. A picture may help if you are interested in more information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.