Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No suction at the skimmer. Please Help. I am new to this.

1. Back To Top    #1

No suction at the skimmer. Please Help. I am new to this.

I noticed today that there is no suction at my skimmer. I have an inground pool with a cartridge filter. There are no special valves or anything to switch lines. The jet is working. the pump seems to be primed. i opened the pump and put the hose in and then turned it on and it sucks automatically. I have been scouring the web for hours and I can't find the info I need. everyone seems to have fancy pumps with special valves and stuff. Mine is very simple and probably old. I just moved into this house about a month ago. Please help. I put algaecide in the pool two days ago and just noticed today that the skimmer doesnt seem to be sucking at all. so the pool is still green and i cant vacuum or anything. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Also, the pool is filled to the appropriate level.
    21K gal, Vinyl, 16X32, 3/4 HP Hayward Maxflo, Hayward Pro 24" Sand Filter
    Apollo Pools (Canadian Supplier for Taylor Kits) www.piscines-apollo.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No suction at the skimmer. Please Help. I am new to thi

Hi, welcome to tfp! Can you post a picture of your pump and skimmer? That will help us to troubleshoot your problem. Have you checked if there is any blockage in the line from the skimmer to the pump?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

How can I check this? I will post pics shortly if I can get a decent one. Also, the skimmer has two holes. I am not sure what they are for or which one is supposed to be sucking. Thanks for the welcome! I am very thankful for this site.

4. Back To Top    #4

I just figured it out. Both holes in the skimmer were open. I put the cover thing over one of the holes and now it is working... Thanks anyway.

5. Back To Top    #5

Glad you resolved your problem. The bottom left of every page has a google search box. A lot of times you can find the info you need by doing a search there, and there is almost always someone around to answer questions any time of day.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Like I said, I had already spent several hours interneting to solve the issue. At least I learned a lot about my pool today. lol

7. Back To Top    #7

What covet did upu put in that covers. 1 hole? Usually there I'd a plate with a float in it. By moving a slider on it you affect how much water is pulled from the floor (the other hole) and how much from the Skimmer. A picture may help if you are interested in more information.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!