Chlorine Test - False High Results?

Mar 30, 2012
Hello there, I can't figure this one out. I believe my test kit is giving me false high chlorine values. I have tested it for the past 3wks and it gives me a value of over 5ppm.

I guess the only way to determine for sure is to take it to my pool store for a complete analysis, but I want to know whether or not to return my pool test kit.

Has anyone ever heard of a Taylor K-1005 test kit giving false high values?

Thanks,

Eric

ETA: I forgot to mention that this test was brand new when I purchased it 3 weeks ago.

Welcome to TFP!

The K-1005 includes the DPD chlorine test. That particular test is known for falsely showing chlorine at zero when it is quite high. But I have never known it to read higher than actual.

There are various ways the FC level could actually be higher than 5 for weeks at a time, assuming either that chlorine is getting added regularly in some way or that the CYA level is extremely high. It is impossible to say how likely either of those are without more information.

***Edited to Add:
I went to the local pool shop and had the professional analysis done. It cost me 29.95+tax. But it was well worth it. J/K, it was free, as it should be.
They confirmed that my chlorine was high and that my test was not wrong. I think my best course of action is to shock it as Smykowski suggested. Other than that, the results were about within range. Thanks for the suggestions!

Again, thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
The pool is not blue, but not green, and cloudy as seen in the pic.
OK, I read pool school and updated my signature. Here are the results I took earlier today.

FC - above 5ppm
CC - above 5ppm
pH - 7.4
TA - 120
CH - 240
CYA - at about 80-90

Do you think the cyanuric acid is too high, not allowing the chlorine to be effective allowing the algae to grow?
Also, I have been adding a little chlorine when it looks like this to get it blue again. I'm going to make a trip to the pool store and check this test out either way and let you know.
This is a current picture as of 5 minutes ago.
IMAG1260.jpg

You really need the FAS-DPD to get a proper read on your level. Without that, you are not going to have enough information to resolve the question.

With good accurate information, you will be able to determine where the chlorine level is, and how fast it's being lost.

To kill algae effective when CYA is around 80 to 90 you want the FC level up around 25 to 35. Without a FAS-DPD chlorine test you will have a rough time knowing if your are getting the FC level high enough to be effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.