5 yr. cost estimate? and polaris vs. robot opinions?

I found a full breakdown diagram and orderable parts list for the 9300 by simply google searching. I expect the same will be available for the 9400 shortly. From the breakdown diagram it looks very modular and (relatively) simple to service.

mixsig said:
I had a Dolphin Dynamic with remote. Still have it with one bad motor if anyone wants to buy it :wink: Although reliable over that time there were two really annoying issues: removing it from the pool and cleaning the bag. To remove it from the pool you drag it to the side then flip it over and pull it up by holding the treads or body. It's really heavy and messy with the water spilling out as you pull. If you just pull it by the handle the sediment falls out the bottom. The bag cleaning is not fun. My kids call it changing the diaper. After you pull the bag you have to spray it out really well to remove the sediment. About once every couple of weeks I would run it through a wash cycle too. But, other than those grievances it did a great job cleaning the water. I often wondered if my sand filter was doing any good as the cloth robot bag cleaned things up so well. One other downside is all the bad stories I've read about Maytronics service.

I have had my Dolphin Dynamic about 2 years and can relate to everything stated by mixsig. It does a great job cleaning up dirt/dust that you do not even realize is in the pool. But you have to flip it upside down before hefting it out of the pool and spraying down the bag is kind of a messy job (they do make disposable bags I think). The other grievance I have is that it is kind of annoying to try and untangle the 50 foot chord ... sure wish there was a swivel on it.

jblizzle said:
mixsig said:
I had a Dolphin Dynamic with remote. Still have it with one bad motor if anyone wants to buy it :wink: Although reliable over that time there were two really annoying issues: removing it from the pool and cleaning the bag. To remove it from the pool you drag it to the side then flip it over and pull it up by holding the treads or body. It's really heavy and messy with the water spilling out as you pull. If you just pull it by the handle the sediment falls out the bottom. The bag cleaning is not fun. My kids call it changing the diaper. After you pull the bag you have to spray it out really well to remove the sediment. About once every couple of weeks I would run it through a wash cycle too. But, other than those grievances it did a great job cleaning the water. I often wondered if my sand filter was doing any good as the cloth robot bag cleaned things up so well. One other downside is all the bad stories I've read about Maytronics service.

I have had my Dolphin Dynamic about 2 years and can relate to everything stated by mixsig. It does a great job cleaning up dirt/dust that you do not even realize is in the pool. But you have to flip it upside down before hefting it out of the pool and spraying down the bag is kind of a messy job (they do make disposable bags I think). The other grievance I have is that it is kind of annoying to try and untangle the 50 foot chord ... sure wish there was a swivel on it.

i've cleaned the bag in my blue diamond 8 times in one day, you pop it off the frame, the frames are just about identical to the dolphin when i had one and flip it inside out and spray it off with a hose, takes 2 minutes.

as for the cord, none of them have a true swivel, the blue diamonds have a plastic attachment on the cord that simple lets the cord rotate in it, so when you stretch the cord across your yard to untangle it, the cord twists in the piece of plastic you are holding instead of twisting in your hand, its convenient but not a must have.

Well I had a Polaris 380 for 10 years and how have had my Blue Pearl for 5. The Polaris did a fair job at best at cleaning and was very expensive to operate. You had to have the main pump running AND the booster pump as well - lot's of electricity. I went through several sets of wheels and had to rebuild the guts twice. The Blue Pearl just runs. I replaced the inside belts, that is it. It cleans faster and does a much better job. The filter bag actually filters the water to a finer level than my DE filter. Further, you don't need any pumps running to use it. BTW I use it to clean my 20 x 40 33,000 gal pool.

kirbinster - the polaris I'm referring to is a robotic cleaner. I'm hoping for the best of both worlds - the 10 years of durability and low power requirements of the robotic. There was already a post about the cleaner here: looking-for-robot-rec-s-for-fiberglass-got-the-polaris-9400-t40927.html. I struggled a little between the 9100 and 9400 but settled on the 9400 to get the brushes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.