Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who says cacti are ugly?

1. Back To Top    #1

Who says cacti are ugly?

From my front yard last night and this morning...these flowers are 9" across! This is the first time these have bloomed for me, and I've got a few other types with buds...exciting!

11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who says cacti are ugly?

WOW ... is that a saguaro or something else? Did not realize they bloomed that small.

I have probably 50 barrels that all bloom, but they are not as nice looking as that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is an Echinopsis hybrid aptly named 'Flying Saucer'. I got it at Bach's up on Thornydale & Cortaro...I'm sure they have some more I've got 3 other hybrids with buds, and 10 more that aren't gonna bloom this year.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice vivid colors
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Have you desert nomads never heard of azaleas? Just kidding, MITS, those are stunningly beautiful. Nice pics.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

speaking of azaleas... I am about to plant a fence line with alternating encore azaleas and hibiscus. I love the azaleas, this particular variety blooms pretty much constantly all year long. Not sure how they pull that off, but we love em.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

7. Back To Top    #7

Azaleas are for sissies! Plus they die here. Quickly.

Some others decided to join the party over the weekend:

8. Back To Top    #8

^ Those look awesome. Those are for me...cactus is the only plant that survives my non-green thumb.

9. Back To Top    #9

That's really nice, I'm going to Google and see how well they do here.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow!!! Very nice.
    15 K gal/gunnite, 600 gal attached SPA, Hayward: ProLogic, ColorLogic LED, Super II pumps, 400k BTU heater, StarClear cartridge filter for, SwimClear cartridge filter . Pentaire: booster

http://www.troublefreepool.com/detai...l?hilit=corpus

11. Back To Top    #11

Beautiful flowers.

My wife and I spent a week and 1/2 in Arizona last spring (end April, first week of May). We visited her brother in Tucson for a few days then spent a week in Sedona. Saw lots of cactus blooms in the Tucson area and took plenty of pictures.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

12. Back To Top    #12

MITS,

Please stop posts like this. We don't need anymore snowbirds!
    Bill

13' X 25', raised SitNSpin spa, 12,500 Gal, light grey plaster, 3" suction lines, 2 1/2" return lines, 5 returns, infloor cleaning system, 280 sq ft solar panels, Pentair EasyTouch 8, Autelis wireless iPhone Control, Intelliflo VS pump, IntelliChlor IC40, IntelliPH, Pentair CC plus 420 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400k btu heater.

Weather Website http://sbrsouth.com

Every day is a good day. Some are just better than others!

13. Back To Top    #13

I wonder how well cactus will do in Middle Georgia outside. Those are beautiful!!!!!!!!
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

In a pot, in a very fast-draining mix, and kept dry during winter, probably pretty well. If you're really interested, I've ordered from here:
    http://www.huntington.org/botanicaldiv/ ... index.html

Buds on lots more hybrids are coming this spring...

15. Back To Top    #15

Wow, those are nice. I assume they would not be able to survive here in NJ though. We do get these prickly pear cacti: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23956233@N04/2890180511/
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

16. Back To Top    #16

Very nice MITS!