How to clean fiberglass steps

Apr 23, 2011
Pensacola, Florida
Our pool is two years old and the fiberglass steps have a black ring around the water line. The steps are also not bright white anymore, just kind of dull and I would like to restore them to white. Does anyone have suggestions on how to clean them. I tried the Mr Clean Eraser last year with some success on the water stain but it still did not cut through all of it. The steps are underwater and I can't drain the pool to clean them. Any help is appreciated.

Also, this is my first post and I would like to say a big thanks for this forum. We were novices when we built the pool and have learned so much from this forum, especially pool school and the pool calculator. I have found almost all of my questions answered here.

I didn't have the black scum line, but my steps did look kind of dull and a little brownish last year (this was before I had the steel wool in the pool incident, which turned my steps very brown). I did an ascorbic acid treatment and was amazed at how white the steps turned out. You might want to try that. I used this stuff...just sprinkled it over the water above the steps - this stuff is actually citric acid, which is similar to ascorbic acid. You could also just get pure ascorbic acid powder if you can source it.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Chemistry ... B002FB73GQ

Magic eraser gets my vote. Above the water line many cleaners will do a pretty good job, but you can use the magic eraser at the water line without a ton of chemicals getting in the pool and I use it on the steps below the water line to bring them up to white. Someone here told me about it and it really worked great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.