Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How to clean fiberglass steps

How to clean fiberglass steps

Our pool is two years old and the fiberglass steps have a black ring around the water line. The steps are also not bright white anymore, just kind of dull and I would like to restore them to white. Does anyone have suggestions on how to clean them. I tried the Mr Clean Eraser last year with some success on the water stain but it still did not cut through all of it. The steps are underwater and I can't drain the pool to clean them. Any help is appreciated.

Also, this is my first post and I would like to say a big thanks for this forum. We were novices when we built the pool and have learned so much from this forum, especially pool school and the pool calculator. I have found almost all of my questions answered here.
    Pool: 17,000 gallons, Cartridge filter, In ground vinyl, Polaris pool cleaner, Ozone Joe, BB Method (not currently using Borax)

Re: How to clean fiberglass steps

I've found Magic Eraser to work better than anything else I've tried. There are several scum line cleaners out there and your local pool store probably has one if you want to try it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

X2 for the magic eraser.
    25K gal vinyl inground, 1HP Hayward Pump, Hayward DE 4820 Filter

I didn't have the black scum line, but my steps did look kind of dull and a little brownish last year (this was before I had the steel wool in the pool incident, which turned my steps very brown). I did an ascorbic acid treatment and was amazed at how white the steps turned out. You might want to try that. I used this stuff...just sprinkled it over the water above the steps - this stuff is actually citric acid, which is similar to ascorbic acid. You could also just get pure ascorbic acid powder if you can source it.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Chemistry ... B002FB73GQ
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

Magic eraser gets my vote. Above the water line many cleaners will do a pretty good job, but you can use the magic eraser at the water line without a ton of chemicals getting in the pool and I use it on the steps below the water line to bring them up to white. Someone here told me about it and it really worked great.
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

Thanks for the tips. I will try the Magic Eraser on the scum line. I'll have to wait until the water warms up a little more to tackle all but the top step.
    Pool: 17,000 gallons, Cartridge filter, In ground vinyl, Polaris pool cleaner, Ozone Joe, BB Method (not currently using Borax)

Tried the Magic Eraser and it worked great. The water line rim is gone and the top step is again bright white.
    FYI for anyone reading this I found that the Magic Eraser Original worked the best. I also tried the 2X concentrate and it didn't work as well.

It's surprising how well an old scrap of insulation works isn't it?

I don't like the new Magic Eraser as well as the original.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.