Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening before vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening before vacation

With the warm winter Southern New Jersey has had, I took the cover off the pool this past weekend. Usually take it off the latter half of April, but I'll be on the road the first part of April and didn't want it to turn to pea soup before I got back (wife doesn't deal with the pool, and can't trust the kids with chemical quite yet).

Anyway, I had cleaned up some of the debris (leaves, worms, etc) in the pool, but the recent wind has dropped a bunch back in that I'll clean out tomorrow. Had the pool water tested, and had the following results:

CYA: 65
    Tot. Chlorine: 0
    Free Chlorine: 0
    pH: 6.8
    Tot. Alkalinity: 30
    Tot. Hardness 20
    Copper: 0.2 (well water)

With the CYA at a reasonable level, I figured that I'd get the FC up to shock levels and scrub the liner. Get the pH up to 7.5 or so. Monitor the FC and keep it there until it stabilizes, then let it lower to normal levels and add appropriate amounts of baking soda to get Alkalinity up.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken
    33,000 gallon
    sand filtered
    inground, vinyl liner pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening before vacation

If the pump was running I'd adjust the TA first if you believe that number. Then test again and adjust the pH if needed. Then follow the rest of your plan.

Are those pool store numbers?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, those were from a pool store. Sampled from the pool, and immediately stopped by store on way to work.
    33,000 gallon
    sand filtered

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd have them tested again. Preferably at another place. You never know if you can trust the numbers you're getting. It's best to have your own kit, and if you really want to have Trouble Free Pool it's imperative that you get one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, have one but waiting on an order for new test chemicals for this year. Was trying to do some clean-up work on it rather than have it sit another two weeks.

Ken
    33,000 gallon
    sand filtered

6. Back To Top    #6

Go ahead and adjust the TA and go from there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, looking better so far. Cleaned the debris out of the pool, added chemicals and had it tested again today:

CYA: 40
    FC: 1.8
    pH: 7.6
    Adj TA: 128
    Tot Hardness: 20
    Copper: 0.2

Pool has lost the green algae color, now it's the color I'd usually expect. Cloudy, but added clarifier and shock last night. Pool store (who did the testing again) wanted to sell me Simplicity Super Metal Control to get rid of the Copper (have well water), and 40 lbs of Calcium Hardness. I just bought some strainer baskets and said I'd let her know. Will add more 6% bleach when I get home to get FC up.

Thanks again,

Ken
    33,000 gallon
    sand filtered