Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How does this electrical plan sound?

1. Back To Top    #1

How does this electrical plan sound?

Yup, more old pool rehab questions. The old wiring is pretty sketchy and corroded, not to mention definitely not up to current code. So here's my plan.

Secure pressure treated 4x4 post in ground and mount Intermatic T21004R pool time/panel at the equipment pad. (about 15ft from pool)
    Bury 1" PVC conduit 18" deep from house to the equipment pad. (about 80ft)
    Feed sub-panel with 50 amp 2P breaker in main panel. 6-3 w/ground Romex inside and 4 legs of #6 THHN outside. (2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground.) Ground and neutral not bonded at sub-panel. No ground rod needed.
    Run flexible liquid-tite conduit with #12 THHN inside to feed the pump from the sub panel with a 20 amp 240V breaker.
    Install GFCI convenience outlet in box (Intermatic gives a spot for one) and feed with a 15 amp breaker.

Is a GFCI breaker required for the Pump feed, or should I protect the entire sub-panel with a GFCI breaker in the main box and regular outlets and breakers in the sub-panel to handle the pump and outlet protection requirements?
    1971 Anthony 20x40 In-ground Vinyl, 1Hp Super Pump, 244t sand filter

Big dreams, no cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed in with little bit of stupidity!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How does this electrical plan sound?

Someone else may correct me, but I believe the proper wire for the buried conduit is THWN, since you can never really count on conduit staying dry forever. Some wire meets specs for both, so I would make sure it does.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Most of the wire I see around here is THHN/THWN-2 dual rated. I'll make sue I check it when I purchase it.
    Thanks

Big dreams, no cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed in with little bit of stupidity!

4. Back To Top    #4

There are plenty of smart folks who can answer your other questions...they'll be around before too long.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper-6

Is a GFCI breaker required for the Pump feed, or should I protect the entire sub-panel with a GFCI breaker in the main box and regular outlets and breakers in the sub-panel to handle the pump and outlet protection requirements?
    No GFCI breaker feeding the sub panel. Use GFCI breaker for the pump. For the outlets, use a regular breaker in the sub panel and use GFI outlets. Its cheaper than using breakers.

Ground and neutral not bonded at sub-panel. No ground rod needed.
    Not sure from your description where your sub panel is. Is it out by the pool or is it on/in the house? If its on the house, your right, no ground rod. If it's out by the pool, you need one.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Got it. Regular feed breaker to the Sub-panel, GFCI breaker on the pump and a GFI outlet with a regular breaker.

I was referring to the Intermatic panel as the Sub-panel. It's sort of a timer box and sub-panel( 4 breakers) all in one, mounted on the post by the equipment pad. There are no other panels in the house except for the main panel in the basement. Based on your post, I'll sink ground rod out at the equipment pad.

Thanks for helping clear this up I tried researching it, but the topic of sub-panels and ground rods gets really muddy.

7. Back To Top    #7

but the topic of sub-panels and ground rods gets really muddy.
    Yes, like half the NEC is, muddy

Sink the ground rod, but still keep the ground and neutral bus bars unbonded out there. You still want the current to return the the panel with the main shut off. The reason for the ground rod on the de-tached panel is mainly for lightning strike, really.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Depending on the length of your runs you'll save money if you buy your wire from an electrical supply house. I usually get wire about half price of the big box stores. Here you don't need any special licenses for electric supply houses, you might need to set up a commercial account which is little more than whatever business alias you want and address. I do this for almost every large project I can go wholesale with, hardwoods, tile, cabinets etc, there's money to save!
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...