Morton Salt differences.

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Taken from the Morton Salt web site: http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/water-softening-faqs
Morton® System Saver® II, Morton® White Crystal® Rock Salt, Morton® Solar Salt and Morton® Rust Remover are all high-quality water softening salt products for use in your water softener.

Morton® System Saver® II Pellets are specially formulated with very high purity salt, guaranteed to be 99.5% pure, containing virtually no insolubles to be cleaned from your brine tank. Made from a proprietary formula, Pellets with System Saver® II Formula are designed to aid in:

Improving regeneration efficiency of the resin in your softener through continuous cleansing of the resin
Preventing the buildup of various damaging hardness minerals that can accumulate in valves and screens in your softener, potentially causing it to malfunction Laboratory Testing* shows that the use of Morton® System Saver® II Formula helps enable a water softener to do MORE…
Removes nearly twice as much dirt and impurities
Removes up to 5% more hardness minerals from your water

Morton® White Crystal® Rock Salt is 98.9% pure salt mined from underground salt domes. White Crystal® Rock Salt is available in coarse and extra coarse grades both of which can be used in your softener. Because Rock Salt is mined from a dome contained in a rock, it will contain a small percentage of impurities. These minerals may build up in your brine tank and will require periodic brine tank clean-outs to remove sediment.

Morton® Solar Salt is 99.7% pure salt harvested from natural salt brine through solar evaporation. Solar Salt is also available in coarse and extra coarse grades. Because solar salt is produced in open ponds, some impurities from the environment get in the salt. The presence of these impurities also requires periodic cleaning of your softener tank to remove sediment.

When iron is noticeably present in your water supply, we recommend that you use Morton ® Rust Remover Salt, a pellet-type salt product with rust remover dispensed throughout each pellet. Rust Remover salt automatically helps fight the build-up of rust in your water softener and it removes 15 times more iron from your softener resin than plain salt.

*Based on laboratory testing for dirt and impurity removal during brine and backwash cycles using 22 grain hard water comparing System Saver® II Pellets with regular pellet salt.

bobodaclown, I'm not sure why you are quoting their literature? Do you have a specific question?

If you are adding salt to a swimming pool, and are going with Morton® brand products, we recommend using their Solar Salt. It is very very pure and dissolves more quickly than the System Saver® II Pellets.

Still, if you have some specific reason to use something else, any of the products mentioned above except Rust Remover Salt will be fine. Rust Remover Salt includes additives that we don't recommend putting in your pool. The System Saver® II Pellets dissolve more slowly, but still dissolve quickly enough that it isn't a major problem. The White Crystal® Rock Salt tends to leave behind some dirt on the bottom of the pool. The dirt can be cleaned up easily enough, but since there is no price advantage why go to the extra effort.

I have a couple extra bags of the System Saver II Pellets. Used one bag, like you stated it took a bit longer to dissolve vice the Solar Salt. It was some info I had found. Wanted to share hopefully will help someone else in the future.

Sam's Club currently has Morton Solar Salt Crystals (40lb) for $2.96 and Morton Pool Salt (40lb) for $5.69. My understanding from doing some reading on the forum is that the Solar Salt would be fine to use but wanted to make sure that's still the case. As you can see there is quite a difference in price.

Also, I have a 27k gallon pool that currently should have no salt in it. I think I'll use a test strip first to determine if there is any salt and then fill from there. How much salt would my pool need to get started assuming there is none?

There will always be some salt if you've been using chlorine for any period of time. Go with the Solar Salt Crystals (much cheaper). They look so pretty when they're dissolving. Depending on your water temp it could only be about 15 minutes, or longer if the water is colder (below 70).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.