Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning the rails, etc.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Evans, GA

Cleaning the rails, etc.

Hi all!

Well, I made the mistake of not covering the pool for the first time ever- what a mistake- and now of course I have a BIG clean up job ahead of me. The top railings around the pool are covered in black smut/mildew/ pine-tree sap. What is the best way to remove this without damaging the finish on the railing? I was thinking once I got the water clear and all the water boatmen out. I could get in with some clorox clean up or bleach/water solution and scrub with a soft wash cloth or scrub brush. Any suggestions on the best way to do this without a big headache?

I'm also tempted to just drain the pool partically, but how low can you drain an AGP without risking damage to the liner?

*~ Laura ~*
    27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
    1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Cleaning the rails, etc.

Diluted bleach is the first thing to try. You can also use a Magic Eraser on it and it doesn't add anything bad to the water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Cleaning the rails, etc.

If you have a trichlor tablet around, try rubbing it on the stains or leaving it sitting there for a little while. I expect that will clean it up, which just means the stains will go away eventually with shocking.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden