Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help deciding on one of these deck designs

1. Back To Top    #1

need help deciding on one of these deck designs

we are having a 27' ag pool put in and with some help I came up with 2 different styles of decks.
    I like both so its hard to decide on which to build.
    I will add that we have a 4 yo and 1.5 yo children safe safety is the most important aspect.
    I hope the pics work...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    27' AGP, stenner pump, 30 gallon holding tank, 2hp two speed pump, cartridge filter, 12.5% liquid chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need help deciding on one of these deck designs

I like deck 1. More space to sit on a lounge-chair, in the shade, under an umbrella to watch the kids in the pool!
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I like deck 1 also. We have a 30 ft ag pool and put the splash deck completely around the pool. It makes it so much easier to put the solar cover on and off, watch the kids, etc. This year we are adding on to the splash deck to connect it to the deck and pavilion we have off the back of the house.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

4. Back To Top    #4

They both have advantages. I'd merge them and go with the elevated larger deck of Deck 1 and the smaller deck around the pool of deck 2.

The kids will want to swim when you are tired of it, and you can sit and see them in the water on the larger area. You won't be able to sit at ground level and keep an eye on them.

The full wrap-around deck will be handy for cleaning the pool, anchoring a winter cover, and possibly a location for the reel for a solar blanket. If you go ahead and make the deck nearly square, you can put a solar blanket reel on the side away from the seating area. You can probably get by with a 3/4 wrap and still have room for the reel if you plan for it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by heikejohn
    I like deck 1. More space to sit on a lounge-chair, in the shade, under an umbrella to watch the kids in the pool!
    I thought the same thing about deck1...but if you look at deck2...there seems to be a sizeabe deck or patio...just at ground level for sitting in chairs....grilling...etc.

but if I had to choose out of both of them...I guess I'd say deck1 as well.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    They both have advantages. I'd merge them and go with the elevated larger deck of Deck 1 and the smaller deck around the pool of deck 2.

The kids will want to swim when you are tired of it, and you can sit and see them in the water on the larger area. You won't be able to sit at ground level and keep an eye on them.

The full wrap-around deck will be handy for cleaning the pool, anchoring a winter cover, and possibly a location for the reel for a solar blanket. If you go ahead and make the deck nearly square, you can put a solar blanket reel on the side away from the seating area. You can probably get by with a 3/4 wrap and still have room for the reel if you plan for it.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. You want a big deck, and you need the wraparound for brushing and vacuuming.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by studdboyz75
    we are having a 27' ag pool put in and with some help I came up with 2 different styles of decks.
    I like both so its hard to decide on which to build.
    I will add that we have a 4 yo and 1.5 yo children safe safety is the most important aspect.
    I hope the pics work...

Our deck only goes half way around and everytime I'm cleaning it, I wish the deck was all the way around. Half deck was a huge mistake not only because of the cleaning aspect but also less room for quests and the kids..
    30' Above Ground 18,000 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I say dont build either deck, just buy my house! It has a nice big deck ready for ya
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube