Opening Refresher Help

May 12, 2009
Hi Guys,
After extremely warm temperatures for March in East Tennessee we decided to open our above ground pool today. However, I need a refresher course.

We closed pool down using the BBB method, the past years we have open to clear beautiful water, however this year the pool is a little cloudy. Not sure if this is because of warm temperatures or because our tarp style pool cover is a little warn and after I have looked at it more it is almost see through.

Before I started filling up with water, I took a sample and here are my results

FC 0
CC 0
CYA 10 ( I did allow sample to reach room temperature for this test, PH, and TA)
PH 7.6
Alk 110

I didn't check Calcium-should I?

Like I said this is a sample pre-fill up with city tap water- Do I need to take another sample once the pool is full?

I plan to start running the pump tonight once water level is complete-

How do my numbers look?

Also will the cloudiness go away up circulation and good vacuuming? There was a couple of leaves and some dirt in bottom?

Refresh me here please-
1. Do I need to go ahead tonight an add my bleach amounts?
2. Retest in morning, etc
3. I haven't purchased cya yet, but plan to tomorrow and adjust to 40.

I only trust input from TFP...best decision I have ever made to switch from Baqugoo to BBB!

I have never done an "opening", but since the water is cloudy and FC is 0 I would think you may want to do the shock process to be sure everything is perfect (even though CC appears to be 0 too).

I would think you fill, circulate awhile, full set of tests, adjust pH as needed, and then follow shocking procedures (maybe add a little CYA before this).

The cloudiness may go away with the filtering, but if nothing is growing, the shock process will be VERY short.

Better safe now what blooming later right?

Just adding to what Jason said.

If you tested without the pump running you definitely need to test again after running the pump a while before you add or adjust anything.

Bringing it to shock might be a good idea.

Everything is up and running-
Have been running pump for 30 hours or so...vacuumed and got most of the dirt out, but still a small amount at bottom- have topped up to shock level per CYA/Chlorine chart for CYA of 20- however pool still has a little haze to it-

Should I continue to shock? I haven't back washed yet but will tonight before I add chlorine, etc.

The last time we had haze was when we used baqucil and it was a nightmare that we could never get rid of until we switched to the BBB method-

Am I over worrying? or is there something else I should do?

HELP!

When I did recheck this morning CC were at 0, FC had dropped to 4.5, and ph was still around 7.5-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.