fuffy

Mar 26, 2011
Cowden, IL
We opened our pool to a green swamp :(
My first reading was
FC-0
pH-8.2
CYA- less than 20

I added the muric acid, got the pH down to proper levels.
Added stabilizer/conditioner to bring up the CYA
Brought the FC up to 10 (according to the CYA/Chlorine calc.)
It took 20 minutes and the pool was a cloudy blue, but the green was gone!
It's been getting slightly better every day, and I'm brushing like crazy. The walls still have green algae on them, I can now see this as the water gets more clear, and the whole outside rim of the pof the pool and cove are covered in green algae.
This has been going on for 8 days.
My question is, should I increase the FC level to more than 10, or just keep on keeping on?

Thanks in Advance!

How much CYA did you add? What were you targeting?

You should shock to the level that you expect the CYA to rise too. FC @ 10 was correct for CYA of 20, but if you added alot, then you may need to go higher based on the chart.

How often are you testing your FC and raising it back to shock level?

And is your pump/filter running 24/7? Cleaning when required?

You most likely need more chlorine. What is your CYA now?

Are you maintaining 10ppm at all times, or is it dropping between tests?

Edit: Too slow :-D but my questions are slightly different so I posted anyway.

I added enough to bring the CYA to 40 (40 has worked great in the past), It's just now reading 30.
The pump is running 24/7.
I've been checking it 4 times a day, it ends up dropping at least twice between those 4 checks.

Thanks all, I've been keeping the FC at 16 since the 29th. The water is sparkling clear, but there's still algae on the bottom, and some on the walls. :( We leave for vacation on the 10th, I'm hoping to have it cleared up before then so the ppl taking care of our pool don't have to mess with brushing it while we're gone.

If you can see it on the floor and walls, brush it up or vacuum it up to get it either filtered out or vacuumed out. With crystal clear water, it is probably dead algae but it needs to be mechanically removed through filtering or vacuuming. Keep your FC at shock value while you are doing this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.