My pool guy moans and groans every year when opening my gunite/plaster pool. I see the plaster as being very tight and in great shape with no flaking, bubbles or soft spots at all. On the other hand he swears that the plaster is a haven for mold spores and that he can't just shock the pool with 1 lb of tri chlor per 10,000 gallons.
He feels that he has to bring the chlorine level up to around 30ppm to be sure he has killed everything. To me it seems like overkill. He's been in the pool business about 10 years and done this pool for about 3.
The current condition of the pool is medium green, and no where near a swamp. Just experimenting a few weeks ago I put in 4 lbs of di chlor into the 30,000 gallons and I got a milky blue gray color in a few hours, but did not pursue the full opening then. Without testing, I felt I had something in the range of about 5ppm. It even cleaned the pump room floor!
So the question....... what do other forum members think of going as far as 30 ppm to open this pool or one like it? Have you heard of an approach like it? Are there any upsides? Any Downsides? Initially, I'm pretty sure he will test no other levels, but will balance the chems once he has it clear. Once he gets there, he is great at having crystal clear water! Among the best!
I know from reading other posts that others do their chems differently, and my guy say he would too, if this was an easy fiberglass pool.