AGP plumbing and electric questions

greyv

May 25, 2009
We have just bought an AGP package including a gas heater. My main question is about the electrical code requirements. Reading the code for my area it seems that the 20A recepticle for the pump only must be the only one installed 5' - 10' from the pool. Then another general purpose recepticle is required at least 10' away but no more than 20'. This seems to suggest that if i want my pump and filter as close to the pool as possible, then i would have to have the heater another 5' farther away because it would have to be able to reach the general purpose recepticle. I dont like this idea of having to stagger the equiptment in different locations. It seems the only other alternative is to put everything exactly 10' away to satisfy both codes, which would leave alot of hose on the ground or have to hard pipe it which i dont want to do. are there other alternatives? Or am i missing a simple solution? any help would be appreaciated. thanks

Welcome to TFP!

The receptacles have specific distance requirements, but that doesn't mean the corresponding pieces of equipment need to be that distance away. The equipment can have hardwired cords which reach far enough to plug into those outlets even when the equipment is close to the pool.

The code also said that any electrical pool equipment that plugs in must not have a cord longer than 3'. So if i wanted everything on the same pad, the closest the pad could be to the pool is 7'. would this be correct?

That depends on the pool. Smaller pools, those considered "storable" can have equipment with longer cords. Also, the distance requirements are different if things are hardwired instead of plugged into outlets.

the pool is a permanent 15x30 AGP. i know they require a corded twist lock plug for the pump. not too sure about the heater being hardwired. that would need a third conduit run to the pad though right?

Hardwiring is always allowed for any piece of equipment. You may or may not need a third conduit, depending on the situation. It is certainly possible to set things up in a way where you don't need it.

The 2011 NEC code for permanently installed pools [680.20-22] says that receptacles for pool pumps shall be at least 10ft from the inside wall of the pool, or not less than 6 ft if they meet all of the following; 1) they consist of single receptacles, 2) they employ a locking configuration, 3) they are of the grounding type, & 4) they have GFCI protection.

That says that they don't have to be between 6' & 10' but if they are, they have to meet the above four(4) requirements.

Also, where a permanently installed pool is installed at a dwelling unit, no fewer than one(1) 125 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacle shall be located between 6' & 20' from the inside of the pool wall. It also must be installed not more than 6'6" above the floor or grade level.

So the other receptacles can be the same distance from the pool as the motor receptacle. I don't see anything that says the circuits have to be ran in spearate conduits. It just says they have to be different circuits.

However, none of this matters if your local code is different. Ask your inspector what they require.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.