Green Algae on tile under water and pool

Hurricane Gio said:
Skip the algaecide stuff?

Yes ... unless you want to spend more money ... and possible add undesirables into the pool like copper.

Bleach is all you need to clear the pool of algae. May want to lower the pH a bit before shocking.

Here you go:
FC: 3.0
pH 8.0
TA: 150
CH: 285
CYA: 30
Salt: 3600

So I assume I should get the pH and TA down today with acid and get my CYA up to 60.
Then shock the pool at 24 until the algae get beat.

I have not measured my Borates yet and will do on Sunday. Then add my ProTeam Supreme in.

Hurricane Gio said:
[quote="Melt In The Sun":3t8qczpl]pH first, then shock. You can deal with TA later :goodjob:

Thanks. Pool calculator say 13 for shock?[/quote:3t8qczpl]

For a CYA of 30 ... FC 13ppm is the shock value to try to stay above.

When all is dead and clear you can bump up the CYA level.

jblizzle said:
Hurricane Gio said:
[quote="Melt In The Sun":3ckkmrcq]pH first, then shock. You can deal with TA later :goodjob:

Thanks. Pool calculator say 13 for shock?

For a CYA of 30 ... FC 13ppm is the shock value to try to stay above.

When all is dead and clear you can bump up the CYA level.[/quote:3ckkmrcq]

Ok. I just bought 5 large containers of bleach. Should I keep the CYA this low while socking? or bump it up ASAP?

I will start tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think 30 should be fine for shocking. Then you do not need as high a FC level to shock. And starting at night actually would allow the FC to only deal with the algae since the sun will not be out burning it off. Would not hurt to try to start when you can today and check the level a couple times before you go to bed and then check again first thing in the morning.

Just make sure you lower your pH before you start shocking because the measurement is off with FC >10.

When you go back to normal SWG maintenance you will want to raise the CYA.

jblizzle said:
I think 30 should be fine for shocking. Then you do not need as high a FC level to shock. And starting at night actually would allow the FC to only deal with the algae since the sun will not be out burning it off. Would not hurt to try to start when you can today and check the level a couple times before you go to bed and then check again first thing in the morning.

Just make sure you lower your pH before you start shocking because the measurement is off with FC >10.

When you go back to normal SWG maintenance you will want to raise the CYA.

Thanks jason. I added the acid about an hour or go. I will some bleach now.

Check the pH now to be sure you are where you want to be. After you start adding bleach, you want to keep testing it and adding to keep it above 13. Otherwise you may be using more bleach than you would normally have too.

Run your pump 24/7 and watch your filter pressure.

Did you turn off your SWG? You can leave it on to help maintain the shock level, but remember to turn it off when you do the overnight loss test ... there have been a few times I have read where people we surprised that the FC went up over night :lol:

jblizzle said:
Check the pH now to be sure you are where you want to be. After you start adding bleach, you want to keep testing it and adding to keep it above 13. Otherwise you may be using more bleach than you would normally have too.

Run your pump 24/7 and watch your filter pressure.

Did you turn off your SWG? You can leave it on to help maintain the shock level, but remember to turn it off when you do the overnight loss test ... there have been a few times I have read where people we surprised that the FC went up over night :lol:

SWG is on. I rather keep it on, so I don't forget to put it back on. I id that once last year, LOL!

Hurricane Gio said:
Butterfly said:
Have you added any algaecide? They can cause foaming. Shocking will take care of it.

Nope, just shocking. FC is up to 18 and no CC(?). When I added the r-005 it stayed clear. Foaming is gone already.

How many days can it take for a very small outbreak?

Borates about 15 right now as well.
How long? Well, as long as it takes! :wink: but, probably not long. Where are you in the shocking process? Have you done an OCLT yet? Remember to turn off the SWG when you do.

Once you complete the shock process (see red line in my sig) you can add your CYA.

Then, you can start knocking the TA down (per Pool School) before you add the borates.

How does the pool look? Can we see a pic?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.