Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Check my understanding of bonding.

1. Back To Top    #1

Check my understanding of bonding.

I've read up here and the NEC code and I think I've got it.

I'm re-decking an old in-ground liner pool with pavers. I can't see any evidence of any previous attempts at bonding on it, so I'm on my own. What I planned on doing is putting a loop around the entire pool with #8 bare copper wire and tying it to the metal pool walls in 4 places. Also tied to this loop will be the mounting cups for the two stainless ladders. Then a leg comes from this loop and ties to the bonding lug on the pump motor.

Is this basically it? I have no lights or step rails to so they are not a concern, and the fence is over 5 feet from the pool edge.

Does it matter what the depth of the bonding loop below the pavers is? I have the option of putting it on the dirt below the base gravel or in the sand/quarry dust below the pavers.
    1971 Anthony 20x40 In-ground Vinyl, 1Hp Super Pump, 244t sand filter

Big dreams, no cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed in with little bit of stupidity!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check my understanding of bonding.

According to the 2008 version of the code, the bonding conductor must be secured within or under the perimeter surface, 4 to 6 in. below the sub grade.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to add from 2008 NEC 680.26:
    Bonding conductor must be 18 to 24 in. from the inside walls of the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

OK got it, 4-6 inches into the soil below the gravel paver base and 18-24 inches from the perimeter of the pool walls. That's clear enough.

The rest of the plan sounds good?
    1971 Anthony 20x40 In-ground Vinyl, 1Hp Super Pump, 244t sand filter

Big dreams, no cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed in with little bit of stupidity!

5. Back To Top    #5

That all sounds fine. My only concern would be: If you need to pass an inspection, you might want to talk to the inspector before hand and make sure that approach is alright in your area. There are still a few places where a full conductive grid is required under pavers (though that has become uncommon).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School