Is 26.5ppm chlorine (free) adequate to shock?

Oct 7, 2010
Cuz I just dumped in 5 gal of 12%, and after circulating all night, pool is still green, but not as bad, but still, should 26.5ppm re enough to kill the algae? If not, I will dump in another......
All other parameters are good.

Thnaks!

noquacks said:
All other parameters are good.

We are not the trusting type :-D Please post all you "good" parameters so we can give informed suggestions.

There is no way to know what your shock FC level is without knowing your CYA level.

Have you read this:
pool-school/defeating_algae
and this:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Because it does not appear you are following the shocking process.

Just to add to the above good advice...

Shock value as well as normal operating FC level is dependent upon CYA. Therefore, you will need a reliable CYA value to determine an adequate shock value.

Test strips *may* be better than nothing, but are far from reliable. In the absence of the standard, the Taylor CYA turbidity test, your next best choice may be the pool store until you receive your TF-Test kit in the mail...

Thnaks, People! So much advice so quick! I will read those links as soon as I post this quick note. FWIW, Yes, I didnt post my parameters, nbut the pool service store yesterday tested my water. They said everything is within limits, so why does it have to be "proven". Anyway, time to raead above as you suggested- maybe I'll learn something......

OK, all 3 links read- yes, I read fast. Also, helps if you understand most of the terminology. Now, people, I dont have the actual #'s, which I understand are helpful, but assuming all is in order, is 26+ppm high enough, or not?

All I know is pH is 7.4, calcium is withing limits, Ive been told (250ppm+??). Alkalinity is "within". Cyanuric acid- they didnt tel me yesterday, so I dont know. But, I have been good with my tablets al along, which helps that, right? Now, people, no problem- I can get them a sample again tomorrow, if we cant figure it out.

noquacks said:
FWIW, Yes, I didnt post my parameters, nbut the pool service store yesterday tested my water. They said everything is within limits, so why does it have to be "proven".
So often pool store results are inaccurate. Since that is what you have at this point, please post them. Your question: "Is 26.5ppm chlorine (free) adequate to shock?" can not be answered with out them. In the end you will benifit greatly from you own test kit (see link in my sig).
noquacks said:
Anyway, time to raead above as you suggested- maybe I'll learn something......
You will find tons of useful info in poolschool.

I am curious, you have 63 posts on here and have not heard that we need test results to help you? :-D

noquacks said:
OK, all 3 links read- yes, I read fast. Also, helps if you understand most of the terminology. Now, people, I dont have the actual #'s, which I understand are helpful, but assuming all is in order, is 26+ppm high enough, or not?

All I know is pH is 7.4, calcium is withing limits, Ive been told (250ppm+??). Alkalinity is "within". Cyanuric acid- they didnt tel me yesterday, so I dont know. But, I have been good with my tablets al along, which helps that, right? Now, people, no problem- I can get them a sample again tomorrow, if we cant figure it out.
Yep, you definitely need your own test kit, the pool store results are not adequete. I prefer the tf-100. Using tablets invariably ends up raising you CYA (cyanuric acid) level too high, which in turn requires more chlorine to sanitize and do the "shocking process". We can not help you much until you have a reliable number for CYA. Get that test kit!

noquacks said:
Cyanuric acid- they didnt tel me yesterday, so I dont know. But, I have been good with my tablets al along, which helps that, right?

These statements make me worry. If you have always been using tablet then I am guessing your CYA is too high (the danger of the easy-to-use tablets). They probably did not tell you because the tests usually peg at 100ppm.

Look at this chart here:
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

To shock at 26.5 FC your CYA would have to be around 65ppm ... and you have to HOLD it that high adding CL as often as possible.

HOWEVER, when we see people on here that use tablets the CYA is generally above 100ppm ... up to 300+ ppm.

At CYA of 100ppm the shock level is a FC of 39ppm ... and with CYA even higher it becomes almost impossible to keep the FC high enough to shock and then to maintain the required normal levels.

When the CYA is too high the only option is partial/complete drain and refill.

THIS is why we have to have all the #s. And generally it has been seen that pool store #s can be pretty far off, thus the recommendation to have your own test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, Leslie pool results:
Free Cl: 10 (I got 26+ppm, already theyre wrong), still 10 they say is "high"
Ca hardness: 200ppm (I dont get this- is it as Calcium OR as calcium carbonate?big difference. Still, I am "normal")
Cyanuric: 50ppm
Alk: 80 (low borderline)
pH 7.4

But today, they tell me Cl wont "kill" algae, so I need to spend $$ on Bromide. OK, I buy the bromide and they say add 2 capfuls for my 16,000 gal pool (yesterday they sold me $31 worth of phosphate remover).

So, people, here I am. Oh, today, pool a tad clearer. Still lt green. Sand filter. Takes time, I suppose. Has been that wway for years.

Thnanks!

If you want to save money ... stop going to the Leslies.

CL will kill algae ... that is the whole point of it in the pool. And if you keep the FC at the correct levels ... phosphate levels DO NOT MATTER.

The good news is that your CYA level MAY (if you trust their test) be reasonable. If you believe the 50ppm then the shock level is FC of 20 ppm {this just goes to show what the PS understands ... In their mind 10 is too high, so if you stay below that, the algae will stay and then they can sell you more stuff ... BTW I do not think the test they use even goes ABOVE 10 so that means it must be high right :hammer: }

Keep the FC above 20ppm as much as you can and the pool will clear up without adding anything but bleach.

At some point you have to decide if you are going to follow Leslies' advice or learn to understand your pool and follow the advice you find here.

First, stop buying stuff from the pool store that you don't need! Phosphate remover and Bromide, you don't need! All you need is chlorine!

With a CYA of 50 your shock level is 20. Get it there and keep it there till your pool is clear and passes the OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.