Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: There's a 20 foot wide hole in my backyard..

1. Back To Top    #1

There's a 20 foot wide hole in my backyard..

on a slope...

surrounded by trees...

full of tree roots...

and georgia red clay...

my back hurts...

and the wife is upset about the "eye sore"...

and I'm almost out of beer.

This is my first build and I need some words of encouragement because I think I have bitten off more than I can chew!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: There's a 20 foot wide hole in my backyard..

Get some more beer! You're doing just fine!

But we need some pictures to commiserate.

Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Keep it up! You are closer than you've ever been!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes pictures would be great! Keep it up! Someday that hole will have water in it and it will feel so good
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely more beer...and chocolate bars too! Seriously, that was 75% of my daily intake for 3 weeks.

I did the exact same project all by my lonesome and I know your pain brother! That said, just keep going and you'll get there, although if your site is really challenging don't be ashamed of taking a couple of days off to rest a bit. If your chipping away at it part time I'd recommend booking some vacation time and just hammer down on it.

Personally, the enjoyment my daughter got from our pool made the whole ordeal worthwhile. When your done building, do the biggest cannonball you can into your pool...it will be worth it.

Good luck!!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys! I will take some pictures this evening.

I just keep thinking that in a couple of weeks I will be floating in that pool with my beer in hand!

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are some pictures as promised. I am trying to get the general shape of the pool, and will level and clean up the edges later...

Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Here you can see my only help that volunteered for this project as well as an idea of the slope I am dealing with...
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

I like the Fiskars shovel ... had the welds break from digging in the AZ dirt (actually I was trying to pry up some cactus and tree roots ... sshhh ) and they mailed me a new one free no questions asked. Just had to email them a picture of it.

Only issue is it does get kind of heavy after awhile.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

The neighboor kid came over and offered to help by lending me his Fiskars shovel. I didn't want to be rude so I accepted it...but it sure is heavy...

11. Back To Top    #11

"back in the day", we always used a root tiller to assist with sod removal and leveling. But your nearly done... As stated, more beer = gooder job! )

12. Back To Top    #12

I think you need some better beer! Takes the edge off the back pain, ya know...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

13. Back To Top    #13

Ya know I used to make my own beer. I brewed some IPA's that would knock your socks off. The problem with have 5 gallons of beer around all the time is that you tend to drink it...all the time. So I gave that hobby up and now I guess I am spending my money on pool equipment and drinking the cheap stuff...

14. Back To Top    #14

Does the help like the beer? That is quite a slope you have there

By the way, I never seen a pacman shaped pool before
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

Keep on going! It's looking great. I felt just like that when we were digging ours out. We got a huge unexpected rain right after we removed the dirt. I had a 3-4ft pond for a week before we could sump all the water out of the hole, then we had to wait a good 3 weeks for it to get good and dry. Man that was a wet summer!
    13K Gal, AG (buried in-ground) pool, Pentair SD40 19" Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Dynamo pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Should I ban?

If I were you I would fill it back in, buy more beer, and relax. You really don't know what you are in for. Good LUCK

17. Back To Top    #17

Re: Should I ban?

Quote Originally Posted by harley29710
    If I were you I would fill it back in, buy more beer, and relax. You really don't know what you are in for. Good LUCK
    HA HA!

Having gone down this road myself, I almost agree... It does tend to be a lot to take on. Almost always more than you thought.

But that homemade beer always tastes better sitting by a pool THAT YOU FREAKING BUILT!!!

Have heart and take it a step at a time, you can do it.

And those chickens look mighty....tasty.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here