Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: All time opening speed record

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    9,090

    All time opening speed record

    I'm in the middle of a major landscaping project, and this warm weather has been pushing urgently at me to get the pool open, but I just got around to it Tuesday evening.

    I didn't put the eyeballs in, install the ladder, diving board or the handrail, and I haven't folded the safety cover yet, but the pool went from winterized to operational at shock level in 21 minutes. The rest of it I can do at my convenience.

    Thanks to my local Walmart for carrying trichlor shock this year, which makes start-up easier. 10lbs of trichlor shock let me maintain my shock level for two days while adding 32ppm of the stabilizer I need. For years, our local store only carried cal-hypo.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: All time opening speed record

    Show off!

    Can you post some pics for us?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: All time opening speed record

    I had never heard of trichlor shock. All that I have ever seen was dichlor, cal-hypo, and lithium hypo. I myself have used dichlor shock bags to raise my CYA. It's great for that.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    9,090

    Re: All time opening speed record

    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    I had never heard of trichlor shock. All that I have ever seen was dichlor, cal-hypo, and lithium hypo. I myself have used dichlor shock bags to raise my CYA. It's great for that.
    Prepare to be be amazed

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Essentia ... k/19795892

    If you zoom in on the package picture, you can read the ingredients.

    I had never seen it before, but I assumed that was because I live in the middle of nowhere!

    IIRC it was about $11 a box, which is about the same cost per ppm of chlorine in the pool as the Walmart bleach now that it is $2.98, and it adds the CYA I need to get the pool going.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  5. Back To Top    #5
    JesseWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Central WV
    Posts
    526

    Re: All time opening speed record

    Seeing that it's only 53.5% trichlor I was trying to figure out what else is in it. Unfortunately we'll never know what the other 46.5% is because according to it's MSDS it's a "trade secret."
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    9,090

    Re: All time opening speed record

    Quote Originally Posted by JesseWV
    Seeing that it's only 53.5% trichlor I was trying to figure out what else is in it. Unfortunately we'll never know what the other 46.5% is because according to it's MSDS it's a "trade secret."
    Talked to Chem Geek about it. He said part of it is probably aluminum sulfate as a flocculant but he's not sure about the rest. Not as good as I had hoped. Back to bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: All time opening speed record

    I didn't beat a 21 minute opening, but set a record from going from dark green to clear in 36 hours. This is the first year I opened by shocking with bleach. Absolutely amazing. Sure, the water is 58 degrees, but it's nice to have it ready.

    Finished OCLT at 6 AM this morning, FC holding steady at 18, 0 CC.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    9,090

    Re: All time opening speed record

    Quote Originally Posted by gkruske
    I didn't beat a 21 minute opening, but set a record from going from dark green to clear in 36 hours. This is the first year I opened by shocking with bleach. Absolutely amazing. Sure, the water is 58 degrees, but it's nice to have it ready.

    Finished OCLT at 6 AM this morning, FC holding steady at 18, 0 CC.
    Until they buy in to the TFP/BBB method, people don't understand how easy it is to take care of a pool, even one that has turned nasty shades of green, brown and black, when you know what you are doing.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: All time opening speed record

    There is a certain level of joy watching dead algae getting sucked into the skimmer and backwashing every few hours.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

  10. Back To Top    #10
    plucky71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    116

    Re: All time opening speed record

    Talked to Chem Geek about it. He said part of it is probably aluminum sulfate as a flocculant but he's not sure about the rest. Not as good as I had hoped. Back to bleach.[/quote]


    I used di-chlor this year for start up. I was happy with it. It raised my cya level and shocked at the same time. Would you use tri-chlor to open again? What are the benefits of trichlor vs dichlor for opening?
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    9,090

    Re: All time opening speed record

    Quote Originally Posted by plucky71
    I used di-chlor this year for start up. I was happy with it. It raised my cya level and shocked at the same time. Would you use tri-chlor to open again? What are the benefits of trichlor vs dichlor for opening?
    I'd use either if I could get it for a reasonable price, but I'm about 25 miles from the nearest pool store, and, like every place else I've been locally, carries only cal-hypo shock. If I could find somebody that carried dichlor or trichlor shock, I'd go with it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •