Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pea Soup Color Pool :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Pea Soup Color Pool :(

This is my 4th year with my Intex pool, but, it's the first year that I've left it up all winter. It was only covered with the solar cover all winter. There are leaves in the bottom still. I can't see them to get them yet.

I'm in SW Iowa and like everyone else I was getting antsy to open with all the warm weather we are having. Last Saturday I lifted the cover to see pea green water, leaves and little bugs swimming around. Water temp was 70( it was mid 80's that day), so I decided it was time to start messing with it. I got out all the equipment and started checking out everything and hooking up the hoses etc. I was out of CYA and no one in town had any...Amazon to the rescue! I received my stabilizer yesterday.

My question is what to do next? It supposed to rain off and on all day today. Friday - Sunday is supposed to be sunny and warm 75+.
    Pool calc said to add 249 oz of bleach for a shock level of 24. And 40 oz of CYA for level of 60. Last night I put in 16 oz. of CYA(sock) I wasn't sure if I should put it all in now or not? I ran the filter all night. No more floaters on top, but I know there are still leaves in the bottom. But, I can't see them to get them(grrr)!

I tested the CYA & FC last night before adding the CYA. They were both 0. This morning I tested pH- 8.2+++ HOT PINK!

What should I do next? Wait until tomorrow when it's not raining? And do I need to run my filter 24/7 right now or wait until I start adding bleach?

Edited to add-

Duh, I was looking at my Sig...should I run my aqua critter to suck up the leaves in the bottom? I've never used it to get LARGE amounts of leaves before. Not sure how well that would work?
    5,000 Gallon 16'x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, Waterway 1hp sand filter, Intex SWG, AquaCritter, TF100
    Climate/Location: SW Iowa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pea Soup Color Pool :(

Take the CYA out and wait till you have it clear to put it back in. You've probably got enough in there to get to 20 or so. That's good when you're shocking.

Run the pump 24/7 until it's clear.

Don't worry about the pH as it'll read falsely high when you're shocking.

Test the FC and bring it back to shock level as often as every hour.

You need to get all the debris out that you can so running the vac might be a good idea if you can't get it with a leaf rake.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I would follow Bama's advice except do adjust your pH to about 7.4 or so before you start adding chlorine. You stated that your FC is zero and your pH is 8.2+ so you are not getting a false high pH reading.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay I've got the vac running now. Checking it every few minutes to make sure nothing is clogged. Should I started adding bleach now? And do I add 249 oz every time I add more?
    5,000 Gallon 16'x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, Waterway 1hp sand filter, Intex SWG, AquaCritter, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to test and then add what the Pool Calc says you need to get back to shock level. The amount you need to add will vary because you'll start using less and less FC killing the baddies as you go along.

The issue with the pH is that anytime the FC is over 10 ppm the pH will read wrong and my advice was based on the fact that you had added 249oz of bleach already. Just wait till the FC is below 10ppm to check the pH.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, thanks Bama

7. Back To Top    #7

Progress

Around 11am & 6pm.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd say that's looking better! Keep up the fight!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Pea Soup Color Pool-UPDATE-Foam?

It smells and looks like huge over chlorinated hot tub...lol!

It held around 19 FC over night. We did have a rain storm last night. I had to leave all morning and came home at noon to this. It's a thin foamy/bubbly layer. The skimmer had an actual pile of foam/bubbles in it. I took out the skimmer and I'm just letting the filter run.

Did I put too much bleach in? Not sure what to do next. Do I need to do a full test and check all my levels for everything?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, post your results.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

11. Back To Top    #11

Apparently I have a air leak at some point, I haven't found it yet. When I unhook the skimmer the bubbles/foam go away. I believe I have killed all the algae, it held a high shock level over night(thursday). This morning FC-8. At what point should I turn on the SWG? It's still cloudy white looking.

12. Back To Top    #12

Have you preformed a http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test
    Do not stop shocking until you do.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi MrsFusion,
    I would not turn on the SWG until the shock process is complete, your water is not clear!
    Continue the Shocking Process until:
    1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

14. Back To Top    #14

George N and Supertune have got you covered!

When you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsFusion
    This morning FC-8.
    do you mean a drop of 8 overnight or you are at 8 now? What is the minimum shock level you are trying to hit? Using poolcalculator.com, I get a 12 ppm minimum FC shock level for 5000 gallons and 24 ppm CYA.

As Bama mentioned earlier, if your FC level is 8 right now (or at least below 10), now would be a good time to check ph and adjust before you dose back to your FC shock level.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.