Just starting the processes - Kennedale, TX

samttu

Mar 29, 2012
First Post and First Pool...so I am looking for your thoughts/feedback on the direction we are headed. We have narrowed down the builder to Accent Pools and Fort Worth Custom Pools. The Design and Pricing below is from Accent. The cabana will have an A-Frame Front. Fireplace came in higher than I expected, but I have never priced one out before. Anyway...let me know what yall think!

Attachments

• MAHSERJIAN 2_003.jpg
    MAHSERJIAN 2_003.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 987
  • MAHSERJIAN 2_002.jpg
    MAHSERJIAN 2_002.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 987
  • MAHSERJIAN 2_001.jpg
    MAHSERJIAN 2_001.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 986
Nice Design.
My thoughts on your quote:

Overall I believe you got a good bid, however I think you could get that quote below $50k with a little extra work.

You could save ~$1000 off the top if you did the downspout connectors and drain pipe yourself. It isn't a hard job and all the stuff is available at most local hardware stores (4" pvc sewer drain, connectors, glue, and a shovel). Wet the ground a bit the night before and dig the trenches. Keep in mind that there will be a ~6" layer of compacted gravel and a 4" layer of rebar or fiber reinforced concrete deck on top so there's no need to dig the trenches any deeper than 6-8". This job could easily be done in a Saturday morning. Same thing for the sprinkler re-route. A trencher might cost you $80-100 to rent. Well worth it. But I certainly understand preferring to just pay someone else to do it. Note: Youtube has some great tutorials for home improvement projects like this.

The price of your arbor seems a bit steep. I paid less that half your quote for our 16x12 pavilion. (Finishing the project now, will post pix soon). My structure was built with pressure treated 6"x6" posts and not cedar. I'd be surprised if the $7k difference was purely due to the cedar but I'm admitedly ignorant on wood pricing. I recommend you check the yellow pages for local roofers or framers. I wouldn't necessarily use the pool builder in this case. Have you thought about wiring it for electrical? lighting? ceiling fan? tv? outdoor speakers? Even if you don't opt to install electric utilities, lay a few runs of conduit. The time to do it is before your decking is poured. The other thing I noticed is that it's spec'd at 15'x20' which is kind of wide to only have 4 support posts. Looks like you're in texas so wind loads have to be a consideration. I have no clue regarding building code requirements but at 12' wide (post-to-post) our builder was able to use standard length 2x12s for header beams and 2x8 cross-members. Lengths greater than 12' aren't very common. I'm wondering how it's going to be braced internally. Might be a good idea to get the arbor's dimensions in writing. Have them specify 15x20 outside post to outside post or roofline perimeter dimension. Big difference. Have 1 or 2 local roofers quote you a similar structure.

Again, these are just some things to consider. Good luck on your build!

Welcome to tfp, samttu :wave:

I look forward to your project, please post lots of pics :party:

By the way I would skip the Rainbow 320 inline tab chlorinator and go with a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (swcg) or just use liquid Chlorine. The rainbow uses trichlor tabs and those add CYA continuoulsy to your pool which eventually can cause problems. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

Also, if that Jandy 1.5 hp pump is a single speed, I would a least go for a 2 speed and maybe more like 1 hp. Bigger is not always better.

the design is excellent and it will not be long before you are enjoying your back yard oasis!!!!!!! didn't think the bid was to bad either. i do have a spa as well but mine was a bit cheaper than that but you are getting a larger pool plus a fireplace. AWESOME!!

+1 on the SWG. you still have to maintain your pool but it beats lugging bleach/chlorine back and forth. i have a SWG and it's awesome.

might consider LED's for lighting as well. that's one upgrade that i'm glad we did instead of opting for the 500 watt light.

good luck on your build and be sure to post pics!

thanks...also noticed my cartridge filter is rated at 580sqft and the pool is 598sqft. Should this be upsized?

Regarding the downspout drains. I am assuming these are downspouts from my rain gutter correct? I guess I would just rout the drains to the drainage being used in the decking? Sounds fairly straight forward just not sure where to tie the drain in at.

I was more surprised by the price of the fireplace then the arbor itself. But that stone work is not cheap apparently...Its like $500 per column to go just 3ft, or $1k to go the full length. Currently shopping the arbor and fireplace.

I do want electric...so it does make since to run some conduit now so I can pull wire later...dont want to be busting up that pretty slab later!!!

On the SWCG...I have heard that the salt added to the pool could damage the stone work, and any metal furniture. I know they are easier to use, and cost more.

Another thing I have been wondering...Do I need to hold the builder to 8" centers on the rebar, or is 10" acceptable?

Do I need more than one light?

I do a lot of running, so I am opting for a stand alone hot tub with more jets...to be added once the money tree blooms again!!!

Again...I look forward to being educated...

Plan fr the future and run the wires tote cabana now. Will you ever want water/sink there? Run the pipe now. where will the hot tub goin the future? Should you run the 220v line for it now?

Also, I would either go salt or liquid chlorine. You don't need/want the rainbow feeder.

A two speed pump will save considerable money on electric costs.

Last thought- if you are willing to work with two contractors you could save considerable money by having somebody else do the cabana/fireplace. Maybe even enough savings to do the hottub now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi samttu....I'm located just off of Richard Price Road and Hudson Cemetery Road. Essentially we are probably located just a few miles from you, if not closer. Anyway, we are in the market too and your bid from Accent seemed pretty reasonable, especially for just the pool itself. Have you made a final decision? Do you know anyone who used Accent? If so, how did things work out for them? I may just give them a call and get an estimate.

Hi Chuck - We talked to Fort Worth Custom Pools and Blue Haven. But Tom Monahan at Accent Pools was by far the most responsive, attentive, and just a plain ol nice guy. I got the feeling that the other guys were just talking and not listening...where if you had a question for Tom you would get a timely response to emails or phone calls.

As far as quality....Two houses down from us has an Accent Pool and never had an issue with it. Another thing about Accent is that they don't push the upsale to salt or variable motor. Their package includes what you "need".

Give Accent a call and ask for Tom...Let him know I said nice things so they do a better job! LOL We should hopefully break ground in a couple weeks.

I would definitely sub out any other work beside the main pool stuff to someone else. Like the sprinkler reroute I know you could get done cheaper somewhere else I'm sure. I'm cheap and did my own landscape and sprinkler reroute and saved a couple grand right there. I see you are doing you own fence work whatever that entails but I let a PB put up a new fence for us and it was nightmare. The PB subbed out to another company and they completely FUBARed the new steel fence. Just some of my experience from last year.

Thanks Sam for the information. We will probably give them a call after we decide on a design. I'll let you know what we decide to do. Best of luck with the new build and if you get a chance it would be great to see pics during the process.

Chuck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.