Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whoops!

1. Back To Top    #1

Las Vegas, Nevada

So today I was doing my usual dog poo detail and thought I noticed the sound of the spa heater going. I was next to the spa but the heater is on the other side of the yard so I dipped my toe into the spa to make sure I hadn't left it on the night before. It was fairly cold so I didn't think anything of it and figured the noise I heard was just the filter pump running. I finished picking up the poo and the decided to check my pH and chlorine. I sat down next to the pool and reached in to fill my tester bottle and the pool was HOT! Not warm, but very hot. I checked the temp and the pool was 100 degrees. I now have the heater set to auto shut off after 1 hour. I had it set up like this before and had changed it since we are running it with the remote now, but last night I ran it all manually so it didn't shut off. It was an expensive lesson, but at least we got to swim and enjoy it for the first time since we built the pool. It had been running about 17 hours and raised 30 degrees. Hopefully with the solar cover we can keep the heat in long enough to swim a few more days.

So what kinds of oops stories do you guys have?
    Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Whoops!

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

New Caney, Texas

Might as well enjoy the swim time
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Well, I have left the hose running overnight and woke up about 4 AM when somehow I remembered. I had a pool full to the rim and a rather swampy lawn.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

I especially enjoy it when I vac to waste and forget to set the multi back on filter............................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Flower Mound, TX

I fell into the pool today with my scrubs on, 15 minutes before leaving for work. Does that count?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7
    Keller, Texas

my neighbor did the same thing when he first started using his pool after they completed it. he invited all of the neighbors over and we all jumped in and the water was 98 degrees. this was impossible for May. he said that he had everything turned off including the heat but i told him that his water was WAY to warm. come to find out his heater for the pool was in fact on and finally shut it off after 3 days. his $650 gas bill the next month was a good lesson to check things out........come to think of it, i've sent him the link to this site many times and he's never taken the opportunity to learn about pool care the right way. this same guy went on vacation last year and i looked over his pool for him for that week, i spent the entire time brushing the sides of the pool due to algea, shocking his pool (his way) and told him when he returned from vacation that i had spent more time working on his pool that week than i have done the entire time with my pool which was about 2 years. some

folks just don't want to make life easier.

17,800 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, Inground, Blue Granite Pebblesheen Interior, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pool and Spa pump, Pentair Whisperflo 2HP Water Feature pump, Pentair .75 HP Booster Pump for Pentair Legend pool cleaner, Pentair EasyTouch 8-function remote, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG.