Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question. How long do I need to run the shop-vac

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question. How long do I need to run the shop-vac

My pool is filling up! Do I need to run the shop vac until the entire deep end is full or just a few inches. It will take most of the night to get the water level just below my step and light where I need it.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick question. How long do I need to run the shop-vac

You leave the vac running until there are several inches (ideally a foot to be sure, but that isn't strictly required) of water in the shallow end. You need enough water in the pool to hold the liner in place in all of the corners, including in the shallow end, before you turn off the vac.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow! That is what I was afraid of. Now I see the advantage of a water truck.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm very curious. Can you tell me how you hook up a vacuum when you install a liner? I'm trying to picture it. I have a gunnite pool, but I'm awfully curious. I understand that you're trying to vacuum out all the air between the liner and the outside of the pool, but can't picture where the vacuum goes?
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If you look at some of the liner install pics around here you'll see that they mostly loosen the bead from the track and stick the hose down beside the liner. I stuck it inside the skimmer through the face, down to the bottom, when helping install the last liner I helped with.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

7. Back To Top    #7

FYI it ran all night, no complaints from the nieghbors. The next day installed light return and skimmers. Pool is full!

8. Back To Top    #8

Congratulations!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

It really works well doesn't it? Congrats. :good job:
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit