Vino's South Austin IGP/Spa Build

Vinoveritas

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2011
Austin, Texas
Hey all. I gave the details on how we have come to have a completely wrecked back yard in the Introduce Yourself board but wanted to post some pics here of our cozy freeform inground pool and spa build in Austin near Circle C.

The first plan we are shown is this one, which we loved.
Pool-1.jpg

The only problem was, the corner of the pool was going to be right on top of the roots of a tree that provides tons of afternoon shade to our house, so we had to ditch it for a freeform. Of course, I don't have an image of the design from Pool Studio but you will see what we have soon. The backyard is well shaded as you can see here:
IMG_0767.jpg

Luckily, I have two child laborers who will be my pool boys (or at least on leaf patrol) and who swear they will clean the pool whenever it needs it :lol:

We had no real concept of just how destructive building a pool was going to be. The day we sign, I think the drought in Texas begins to break and we get several inches of rain. They wait as long as they can but still sink the bobcat at least 12-15" in the excavation.
IMG_0840.jpg

Slowly, it begins to take shape:
IMG_0850.jpg

And they were able to get at least 3' down before hitting limestone. It was amazing how small the pool seemed when it was just spray paint on the ground and how massive it became.
IMG_0855.jpg

Our PB, has been excellent and for the first half of construction, folks where here at daybreak and leaving at sunset. The loudest day was the gunite shoot and I was glad to have been able to be around to witness the process. The president of the PB was here all day as well and was able to redirect the guys and make sure that they shot the floor first and keep them focused. In no time, the pool really started to take shape. (Bonus shot of our poodle Lily who is sad that her squirrel hunting area has been significantly diminished)
IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0878-2.jpg

We have some slope to our yard and drainage issues so to deal with that, the design called for the raising of the grade about 10". Here you can see the decking forms are in and the rock work is finished. The original geometric design really caught my eye and I think would have looked awesome had we been able to complete it but I think our "natural" blue hole is going to be excellent as well.
IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

We went with weathered limestone boulders across the back of the pool with a stacked limestone veneer along the edges where we needed the extra height to deal with the drainage. The coping is the lightest Lueders (limestone) that the yard carried. The finish is going to be Wet Edge Tech's Satin Midnight Sea. We had some rain today that we are hoping doesn't put off the deck pour tomorrow. If we stay dry enough, they will plaster Tuesday, acid wash and start to fill Wednesday and open on Thursday. No spa heat for 28 days but my polar bear kiddos can get some use out of the pool until then!

So the decks are poured and shell prep/clean up begins this afternoon with "plaster" scheduled for the morning. There is a 50% chance of rain so I don't know if that is going to push it off for a day or not at this point. I hope not since my wife is determined that we are swimming by Friday and each day we lose means we may not make startup in time.

One thing we noticed is that all the "tree love" that has occurred with our Live Oaks this spring has really done a number on the Lueders limestone that we ended up using for coping. We are going to have to seal the coping or I will have to power wash it weekly :cry: Is there a product that anyone can recommend for this application?

Thanks!

We are getting close to being finished! At least the backyard isn't a pool construction zone anymore. The decks were sealed with an acrylic sealer and I am not sure I like the look. I believe the dark spots are to give it "depth" with the stamping but it just looks dirty to me (and more importantly my wife). We will live with it for awhile and see if our feelings change. We are waiting on the irrigator to come back with a proposal to repair the several zones that were destroyed and rework the existing system to include a drip zone in the bed behind the pool and under the windows.

Plaster was last week and I have been "learning through doing" on a lot of the project. The PB includes a month of service in the price and he is scheduled to show up today but I have already had to shut off the puck chlorinator since FC was way high (12) and CYA was starting to hit 60-70. I have so little sun that hits the pool I am beginning to wonder if I will need something to oxidize the CC.

Here are the almost final pics. We need to have the coping sealed as it is limestone and is already discolored from the tree pollen.

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

And here are the two ladies that will spend the most time poolside this summer.

IMG_2006.jpg

That looks great! We are in the finishing stages of our new pool too and the final details seem to take forever.

While looking at pools before we decided to build, I looked at websites in the larger Texas cities. It's amazing the difference in styles between Houston-Dallas and Austin-San Antonio pools. If you see a picture you can generally tell which of the cities it is located.

That's interesting, Chip. Our first design above that wouldn't work because of our massive post oak was a refined plan that would have looked great with our Craftsman style aesthetic and wouldn't have been very "Austin." What we got really feels like a Hill Country swimmin'
hole. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.