PLEASE HELP!

Mar 28, 2012
I am a new member and in need of HELP!My husband is our "pool service man". We have had issues with our pool since replastering 3 years ago.I'm guessing that is primarily due to "operator error". We have not been systematic in keeping chemicals balanced, primarily due to lack of knowlege. Husband has degree in sciences, so he has a good working knowledge of the chemicals, but not the pool. We may need to hire someone to maintain the pool, but that has always seemed frivilous to me. Today we have drained half of water out of the pool in hopes of "starting over"...I just want to be sure we do it the right way! He is outside working on pool and I have been reading different areas of this site as fast as possible while he is out there.What has finally prompted this "awakening" is the purple film we have on our hot tub waterfall (into pool) and on sides of pool (more obvious as we are pumping water out of pool). From the limited reading I've done today on your site, the CYA is most probably the reason for the purple film.

Here is what pool store water analysis shows:
FAC 0
TAC 0
CH 280
CYA 100
TA 120
pH 7.8
Copper 0
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 2500
Phosphates 500

Can anyone HELP us...quick before Darling Husband makes same mistakes again...we have to get this right. I can send photos of pool as I just took them as a lot of water was being pumped out. We are SO appreciative of any and all help!

Thank you! Thank you!

:wave: Welcome to the forum :wave:

First ... Don't panic and carry a towel!!! The answer is 42. (Sorry for the joke if you do not know what I am talking about)

Since you have been reading here ... you have found and read Pool School right?

Are those numbers before or after you drained and re-filled half the pool?
What have you been using to add chlorine? That could be the cause of the high CYA.

Obvious the biggest problem is a FC of zero. The second issue you may have is the CYA of 100+ ... hopefully after the partial drain that will lower to a more reasonable level.

I have not personally read about a purple film and am not sure what CYA would have to do with it (someone should be able to help with that). What are all the chemicals you have previously put in the pool that could be leaving the film?

What I would recommend (although others should chime in):
1. Get a good test kit (see Pool School) so you can test for yourself.
2. Get some chlorine in there ASAP before any algae gets worse.
3. Drop you pH closer to 7.2
4. Find out the CYA level after the refill and start the shock process to the appropriate FC level (Read Pool School)

brush off the film and use lots of chlorine. i have cya of 100 and that worked just fine to turn the green swamp back. but you need to make sure you have enough chlorine. you will probably need at least 25 gallons or so depending on the size of the pool.

pumping water out is going to cost a fortune to refill especially for a big pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.