2 Speed pump for spa jets

Mar 28, 2012
I am a new member but I have read a lot of post on this forum. I am in the process of re-piping, adding solar and new pumps for my pool & detached spa. Currently I have a single speed 1-1/2 HP filter pump & a single speed 1-1/2 HP pump for the spa jets. For the filter pump I plan to replace it with a Pentair Intelliflo VS. For the spa jets I would like to have the option of having the jets on high or low as sometimes my wife thinks that it is a bit too much. The controller is a Jandy Aqualink RS8 with the latest software which is able to control VS pumps. My question is will I be able to change the pump speed from high to low via my PDA controller while in the spa? Is a two speed or a VS pump commonly used for spa jets?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

:wave: Welcome to the forum :wave:

Not sure how much I can help, but I do have some other questions.

Do you have an air blower on the spa in addition to the 1-1/2 pump? I have read that the amount of air induced in the flow can greatly affect the feel of the jets.

I am just thinking that the low-speed of a 2-speed might be too low of flow for a spa and a 2nd variable speed seems like an expensive option.

So are the pool and spa 2 separate bodies of water that use the same equipment??? Or is the 1.5 filter pump and 1.5 spa jet pump only for the spa? I am wondering if you might be able to replace both of them with the Intelliflo if you are changing the plumbing anyway and then you can use the control of the single Intelliflo to adjust the spa output.

If you post up some pix of your equipment pad, experts here may be able to offer suggestions.

Thanks jblauert for the reply.

Yes, there is also a air blower but it is seldom used. She thinks the jets alone are a little strong.

I was thinking the same thing about the low speed being too low & no I didn't want the extra expense of another VS pump.

Yes, the pool & spa are seperate bodies of water with the filter pump common for both.

Well there is a chance that the low speed with the blower might be ok, but you would have to make the investment to test that out.

I think it should be possible to just have the 1 Intellifo pump for everything (it is a 3HP pump right?) and just have the appropriate valving setup to either clean the spa normally or return to the spa jets at a higher RPM that would be programmable (I do not know if you can vary the speed remotely).

Low speed will make the jets feel extremely week but even worse it may not allow the venturi's to work properly even with the blower. However, a VS would give you a lot more flexibility on the jet strength.

The difference in jet strength is directly related to the flow rate through the jet and the size of the orifice. So you can either reduce flow rate or change the jet. You don't need much of a change to change the strength a lot. For example, there is a very large diference in jet strength between a 3/8" jet and a 7/16" jet. So if you have a very strong 3/8" jet, going to 7/16" will make it feel much weaker.

Also, I am not a big fan of using a single pump for both the pool and spa because that requires you to send high flow rates through the filter unless you are will to create messy bypass plumbing with automated valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.