First Salt Cell Cleaning

Apr 19, 2011
New to SWG. Moved into home with SWG pool (I think it was installed 2008/2009) in the fall. AquaRite controller with Hayward TurboCell T-15.

System was working fine going into the winter, but not generating chlorine now. Solid light on low salt and inspect cell. I know it might be toast, but cleaning the cell sure sounds like a better option to me.

Turned power off, loosened fittings and removed cell. Now, how do I use the 1:4 acid/water mixture? I'm thinking I can stand it in a bucket, but I am a little wary of the control cable. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Howard

I am not 100% the best way to clean the cell. Can you actually see white scale on the metal fins? If not and they look ok, there is really nothing to clean.

I think the check cell light will automatically come on every 3 months or so to "remind" you to inspect the cell ... this light may not really mean there is a problem with the cell.

It is not generating Cl because of the low salt condition. Have you independently checked the salt level to confirm that it is indeed not just low? ... if it really is low then adding salt my solve the problem. If the salt is not really low, the lower reading from the cell usually means the cell is starting to go bad and cleaning may or may not help.

I think the cells generally have a life of 3-5 years and you may be in the middle of that.

Just got my first salt test strips today. Controller says 2100ppm and I will test, as well as take some water to the pool store. One thing I've read here is to not add salt just because the controller reads low.

Visual inspection of cell (can really only see a little on the ends) showed some misc gunk. So I'm hopeful the cleaning and salt add (if needed) will be it. Thanks.

Still hoping for some insight on cleaning in the bucket.

Howard

HowardL said:
Just got my first salt test strips today. Controller says 2100ppm and I will test, as well as take some water to the pool store. One thing I've read here is to not add salt just because the controller reads low.

Visual inspection of cell (can really only see a little on the ends) showed some misc gunk. So I'm hopeful the cleaning and salt add (if needed) will be it. Thanks.

Still hoping for some insight on cleaning in the bucket.

Howard

Hayward makes a cleaning stand for this purpose. If you don't have one you can use a bucket but make sure to stand the cell upright with the control cable at the top of the bucket. Do not submerge the control cable end in the bucket. If you could somehow "cap off" the end opposite the cord, stand the cell up in the bucket and pour the diluted acid into the cell to clean it. This is what I do to clean mine.

Pool stores also sell a SWG stand that snaps into the bottom of the cell and then you can fill the inside with the mixture without getting the exterior wet at all. It just basically caps the bottom of the cell allowing you to fill the inside. I saw it the other day and it looked like a clever idea.

Well, since I took the SWG cell out to clean, thought I might as well clean the cartidge filter while I was at it. I can't believe how filthy it was. In process of putting Humpty Dumpty back together again now.

Question: how tight do the cartridge filter clamps need to be? Hand tight?
Thanks.

Howard

Testing salt level now with test strip. Controller, which shut down due to low salt) said 2100ppm. I will see what test strip says, hook the SWG back up and start powering up.

Any suggestions, comments or warnings? Thanks.

Howard

Salt test strip says (if I am reading it correctly) 5.0 - 5.2 which equates to about 1900ppm. So, roughly the same as controller.

At this point, I think it's time to turn everything back on and add about 200lbs salt.

Howard

Well, that could be good and your cell may work after all.

How did you come up with 200 lbs?
According to the poolcalculator.com for a 30,000 gallon pool to raise from 2000 to 3200 is 300 lbs ... of course you may want to start with a little less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hayward makes a cleaning stand for this purpose. If you don't have one you can use a bucket but make sure to stand the cell upright with the control cable at the top of the bucket. Do not submerge the control cable end in the bucket. If you could somehow "cap off" the end opposite the cord, stand the cell up in the bucket and pour the diluted acid into the cell to clean it. This is what I do to clean mine.

You can just buy a 2" expansion plug from home depot for a little over $ 4. I have used it multiple times and works for me with keeping the cell in a dry bucket. This is what I had bought:

Oatey 2 in. Gripper Mechanical Plastic Test Plug-33401 - The Home Depot

Another option is to cover one end with plastic wrap, hold it in place with a heavy rubber band, then stand it on end in a bucket. Pour the acid/water mixture in and let it sit for a while. Then very carefully pour it out, rinse and reinstall. Find a place to pour out the acid mixture on the ground. Do not pour it in the pool.

Using the GLX-CELLSTAND is probably the easiest method that won't leak. However, it's about $28.00. Not cheap, but not crazy expensive.

The cell has a notch that makes using a rubber plug not work well. If you use a "Union for Aqua Rite Salt Cell GLX-CELL-UNION" (found one for $6.00) and a glued in 2" pvc slip (spigot) plug, that will work. If you want to dispose of the acid, pour it in a plastic bucket and neutralize it with baking soda first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.